Let me start by saying, I give zero f*cks about Kardashian drama. I don't hate them, get your money. But as a journalist at heart and a cynic by nature, I can't help but believe that most celebrity drama is created for ratings. One of the first rules in branding is: all roads lead to the product, and in the case of the Jordyn Woods versus The Kardashians scandal, my first thought was that it was a publicity stunt to boost dialogue surrounding the upcoming season of Keeping Up With The Kardashians. Upon watching this week's episode of Jada Pinkett Smith's Red Table Talk, I realized that this might not be the case.
Jada sat down with Jordyn for an intense conversation about recent allegations against the star. According to tabloids, Jordyn, who has a decade-long friendship with Kylie Jenner, allegedly slept with Khloe Kardashian's boyfriend, Tristan Thompson. Since the news released, Jordyn has been called everything from a homewrecker to a bad friend, but now, the 21-year-old socialite has come forward to tell her side of the story and clear her name.
According to Jordyn, there was no relationship with Tristan before or after the alleged incident, and the way things played out was a lot different than the media portrayed. For starters, Jordyn claims that she was only at the basketball player's house for an after-party, and her biggest mistake was showing up. She told Jada:
"Sunday night, I went dinner with some friends and I went to this bar after. I was minding my business, dancing, drinking. Tristan was there, he was doing his own thing. Normal LA culture, go to the bar, go to the club, you go to someone's house afterward. We're not thinking about whose house. We're all having fun, we're in the moment."
Here's everything we learned from the interview:
Will Smith Is Jordyn Woods' Godfather
In my eyes, Jada and Will can do no wrong. But when I heard there would be a special episode featuring Jordyn Woods, I gave them a major side eye. I thought it was odd that Jada would use the platform she created to inspire so many women to fuel celebrity drama, so how in the hell did Jada get mixed up in all of this? It wasn't until I watched the episode that I learned that Jordyn and the Smith family actually have a life-long connection.
Jordyn's late-father worked on the set of the The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air as a sound engineer, where he and Will developed a friendship. During the interview, we learned that not only have Jordyn and Jaden been besties since birth, but Will is also Jordyn's godfather. He even stopped by the Red Table before the interview via FaceTime to give Jordyn these words of encouragement:
"The world attacks. It just happens. But I want you to know that you are supported. I got you and I got you… Take your medicine and tell your truth. This is a part of what growing up is, this is a part of what learning is, a part of what family is. This world is not going to break you. We won't allow it."
Jordyn Woods Didn't Have Sex With Tristan Thompson
Although Jordyn did admit that she felt wrong for even being at Tristan's house, she said that there was no intercourse between the two and that they had stayed in a public setting for the entire duration of the party. She explained:
"He didn't even personally invite me there…We're all dancing and we're drinking and we're all enjoying the time and I'm not thinking I shouldn't be here. And that's my first step where I went wrong. And how I would feel if someone close to me is hanging at my ex's house or the father of my child. I didn't think about that. That's the first part of the problem. The first step is, I should have gone home after the party. I shouldn't have been there. Never once was I giving him a lap dance, making out with him, sitting all over him, it's just we're all together, we're in a group. Never once did we leave the public area, go to a bedroom, go to a bathroom, we're all in plain sight."
"It was just an innocent time."
...But Tristan Did Kiss Her
But… there were some questionable moments that took place at the alleged after-party. For example, Jordyn remembers laying his legs on top of his. And, when she was getting ready to leave, an unwarranted kiss:
"So this is where the story gets tricky. I feel like I can't point fingers and I can't say you did this because I allowed myself to be in that position. I allowed myself to be there. I never was belligerently drunk to where I can't remember what happened. I was never blacked out. I was drunk. I was not tipsy. I was drunk but I was not beyond the point of recollection. I know where I was."
At the time, Jordyn says she was at a loss for words and left immediately. She revealed:
"On the way out, he did kiss me. No passion. It was a kiss on the lips but no tongue kiss, no making out. And I don't think he's wrong either because I allowed myself to be in that position and when alcohol's involved, people make dumb moves or they get caught up in the moment."
Jordyn Wasn't Forthcoming Initially
My first thought after hearing this was, well did you tell Khloe what happened? But Jordyn explained that it wasn't that easy. After spending the ride home trying to forgive and forget what Tristan had done, she made the decision to keep the incident to herself. Jordyn shared:
"In my head, trying to forget that part of the story, I said, 'No he was chillin. There were girls there but he wasn't all over them.' I was honest about being there. I wasn't honest about the actions that had taken place. I just knew how much turmoil was going on, I was like let me not throw more fuel on the fire."
How The Kardashian Drama Has Affected Jordyn's Personal Life
Contrary to my belief, Jordyn revealed that nothing about this situation was for publicity, and the aftermath has affected her in ways that are almost too devastating to talk about. According to Jordyn, the first few days were the hardest:
"I couldn't eat. I didn't eat for days. I wouldn't look at my phone even. I would just try to sleep and hope that this wouldn't be true. Every time you refresh the page, it's another person bullying me, or wishing death upon me or telling me something like, 'Your father deserved to die.' I may have done something wrong but whatever I did, I don't think I deserve this."
In the emotional interview, Jordyn explained that it was important that she break her silence not to save her reputation, but to protect the people she loves. She continued:
"It's even hard for me to say this. Everyone's safety is now…we can't leave the house. My brother can't go to work. My sister can't go to school, she's twelve years old. My mom can't even go to the grocery store. I'm not here to play the victim. I'm here to take responsibility. And when I was asked about what happened, I didn't tell the truth to the people I loved, not because of malicious intent. But because I was just scared."
Now, I'm not here to pass judgment. Even though Jordyn Woods and The Kardashians are public figures, it doesn't give us the right to be judge, jury, or executioner when it comes to morality. But what I can say is, when I was 21 years old and made stupid mistakes, I had the advantage of not having my wrongs blasted and misconstrued all over the internet.
As much as I hate reality TV drama (with the exception of Black Ink Crew: Chicago, that's my sh*t), I am so glad Jada decided to bring Jordyn on Red Table Talk to speak her truth. No matter what the truth is, it's so important that we have people like Will and Jada in our lives who have our back and help us change the narrative. Despite how entertaining celebrity drama might be, the interview helped me gain an alternative perspective on how real lives can be affected by petty drama.
Watch the full video below:
Featured image by Jordyn Woods/Instagram.
- What You Should Think About Before Agreeing To Become A Godparent - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- How To Choose The Right Godparent For Your Child - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Will Jordyn Woods Break Silence on Cheating on 'Red Table Talk'? ›
- Jordyn Woods First Interview on Red Table Talk: How To Watch ›
- How to Stream Jordyn Woods' Red Table Talk Interview About the ... ›
- Jordyn Woods speaks out about Tristan Thompson scandal on 'Red ... ›
- Kardashians Are Upset Jordyn Woods Is Giving Red Table Talk ... ›
- Twitter Is Freaking Out About Jordyn Woods' on 'Red Table Talk' ›
- jordyn woods red table talk ›
- Here's what Jordyn Woods reportedly says about Tristan Thompson ... ›
- Watch Jordyn Woods Discuss Tristan Thompson Situation on 'Red ... ›
- Jordyn Woods Apologizes for Betraying Khloe Kardashian on 'Red ... ›
Taylor "Pretty" Honore is a spiritually centered and equally provocative rapper from Baton Rouge, Louisiana with a love for people and storytelling. You can probably find me planting herbs in your local community garden, blasting "Back That Thang Up" from my mini speaker. Let's get to know each other: @prettyhonore.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Russell and Nina Westbrook are one of those low-key, unproblematic couples we don’t talk about enough. They met in college and got married in 2015. They also have a beautiful family with three kids. While Russell is an NBA star, Nina is a licensed family and marriage therapist and a mental health advocate.
She recently launched the podcast The Relationship Chronicles with Nina Westbrook, and in the latest episode, she had none other than her husband on as a guest. The college sweethearts dived into important topics from marriage to children and how they navigate it all.
One of the topics they touched on was dealing with resentment in your relationship. The former MVP highlighted the sacrifices his wife has had to make in order for him to pursue a career in the NBA, and that’s why it’s also important for him to support his wife whenever he can.
“For me is respecting and understanding what your partner do and the time it takes,” Russell said. “Not kind of downplaying what they do, understanding the time and energy and effort they're doing to make sure whether it’s their job or making sure home is taken care of, and understanding that, I think that is the challenge of not being resentful.”
Nina agreed and also shared her thoughts on resentment. According to her, one of the best things couples should do is have their own identity and passions outside of the relationship in an effort to be fulfilled.
“I also think that when you’re in a relationship, that’s why it’s so important that each individual kinda pursue their own passions and follow their own dreams as I feel like it only becomes or leads to resentment when one person is not feeling fulfilled in what they're doing in their lives,” she explained.
“And so, they will start to look at the other partner who’s happy or excelling or promoting or moving along in their journey, then they’re left feeling stuck like they sacrificed themselves, their happiness, their career, their future and have not pursued it in the name of the relationship or their partner. So, it’s so much easier to avoid those feelings of resentment when you’re each equally pursuing your passions.”
The couple has many passions that they work on together and separately. Outside of basketball and his family, Russell has become known for his eclectic style and started the fashion brand Honor The Gift. Nina has her podcast, and she also started the mental health website Bene. Together, they run the Why Not? Foundation, which works with kids in underserved communities.
“I’m a firm believer that one person can’t be everything to you, so you have to sort of seek out those different friendships or groups or hobbies or activities that help to fulfill you,” Nina concluded.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images for Religion of Sports