We are all gathering our thoughts and opinions on the election coming sooner than later in 2020. For most of us, it's an easy choice since all we really want is to get 45 up outta the White House. From Bernie Sanders to Kamala Harris, the candidates are overflowing with campaign strategies. Well, there's a campaign more important than anything the democrats or republicans can argue: BUSH 2020. We aren't talking about George and the Texas, fam. We are talking about trashing the societal standard that women have to shave their vaginas and fully embracing being a wild woman with a bush.
The thought and conversation about pubic hair makes me feel uncomfortable and that's mostly because Gillette and European Wax Center commercials have insinuated that bare is the only way. I can't even lie – I will rock a bush unless I know that I'm getting some; "some" as in sex. The hassle and pain of removing hair from my vagina is just tew much. The debate on body hair has been ongoing since the beginning of time. For many of us, it's like autopilot to shave, wax or use a method to remove hair from our bodies. Well, Flamingo wants to promote "grow-choice".
That being said, I decided to take Flamingo up on their claims and gave their Mons Mist a try. Here's what you should know:
✔️ pH balanced ✔️ Gynecologist and dermatologist tested ✔️ Easy mist application
As a conditioning spray, Mons Mist was created to help exfoliate the skin. With a short ingredients list that includes botanical extracts, jojoba oil, and coconut oil, Mons Mist prides itself in being exactly what your skin and pubic hair needs at every growth stage -- whether you prefer shaving, waxing or no hair removal at all. The fact that it exfoliates allows hair follicles to absorb hydration more thoroughly, and more hydrated hair follicles means less itchy or uncomfortable hair growth.
Vaginas are the most precious thing on this planet and as a proud owner of one, I must admit that it takes intention when taking care of her. I am usually super hesitant when it comes to feminine products because I realize how gentle and sensitive my vagina is, but when I saw that Mons Mist is pH balanced and gynecologist tested, I was sold.
Overshare Alert: During my review of the product, I was in between waxes so hair was there and it was the perfect time for some conditioning. When applying the mist, I did notice that it had a nice, refreshing yet oily finish that made for soft skin. The first couple of sprays were a little thick, so I had to rub it in. It made me realize that while my vagina conditions and self-cleanses, that doesn't mean my skin has the same capabilities. The mist was exquisitely hydrating which helped deter ingrown hairs, irritation and redness when I shaved a small area after using Mons a few times throughout the week.
Overall, I approve this product because it gave my skin just the exfoliation and nourishment it needed during this transition time.
Want more stories like this? Sign up for our newsletter here and check out the related reads below:
Feature image by Noah Berg Photography
Joce Blake is a womanist who loves fashion, Beyonce and Hot Cheetos. The sophistiratchet enthusiast is based in Brooklyn, NY but has southern belle roots as she was born and raised in Memphis, TN. Keep up with her on Instagram @joce_blake and on Twitter @SaraJessicaBee.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Watching Angela “Blac Chyna” White’s transformation in real-time has truly been a sight to see. It wasn’t that long ago that she announced that she was reversing her cosmetic surgeries in an effort to go back to who she was before the world came to know her as Blac Chyna. In previous interviews, she stated that she was dissolving her facial and lip fillers, removing her breast implants, and getting a butt reduction, as well as removing the dimple piercings that enhanced her fame and controversial tattoos.
In a recent Tamron Hall interview, the mother of two said that she has “fully recovered” from the procedures. She is also celebrating one year of sobriety and opened up about being worried about how her new journey would be received by others.
“I’ve been in the entertainment industry for so long, right, and of course, like, you know, coming out, I’m like young, I’m gonna do wild things as we all have,” she said.
“...I feel like by me being vocal and showing everybody you can change your life and things can get better, like through myself, that right there is an accomplishment, and that’s a part of freedom, too.”
But as she started on her journey, many people have shown her grace, which is something she’s grateful for. “And then the fact that people have been showing me grace, it’s like amazing,” she said. “And I feel like when I did it, I just did it. It was more so like spiritual thing and I feel like people see that, and I’ve always been like my authentic self, so what you see is kinda what you get with me, and that’s just kinda what it is.”
Chyna, who recently received an honorary doctorate from Sacramento Theology Seminary and Bible College, has also repaired her relationship with her mom, Tokyo Toni. The social media celebrity surprised her daughter on the Tamron Hall Show. Prior to the sentimental surprise, Chyna dished on the reconciliation and having a better understanding of her mom.
“I must say, some of the things I have to take accountability for because, like my actions. As a mother, you don’t want to see your daughter doing certain things ‘cause it’s like it doesn’t matter what my past was or what we’re going through, I didn’t raise you that way,” she admitted. “So, it’s like, okay, maybe I was a little bit wrong. Maybe I was acting out a little bit. But I feel like as we grow older, I kinda see more, and I understand more.”
Chyna will be starring in season two of Fox's reality competition show Special Forces: World's Toughest Test.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Kevin Winter/Getty Images