The title of the new Tyler Perry film, Acrimony, is one of the most searched words on Merriam Webster this month due to the anticipation of the film's release on Friday (March 30).
The dictionary defines Acrimony as meaning anger or bitterness. And in the flick, Taraji P. Henson is the crazy beautiful lead character telling the story of a woman scorned. Acrimony was shot in a mere eight days at Perry's studio in Atlanta, and he says that it is his favorite to date. Regarding the project, Taraji compared her character to Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction:
"It's about what happens when the love is lost, when you lose your security in the relationship. Funds, money. There's stress, when you're married and there's no money coming in. What happens when you want that relationship back, but you can't get it back?"
The movie follows the life of Taraji's character, Melinda, who at the beginning of the film is a hopeful college student who falls in love. She later creates a life with a husband, played by She's Gotta Have It's Lyriq Bent, and becomes the sole breadwinner in their household, acting as his support system while he pursued his dream.
After 18 years, the marriage reaches a point of failure and they divorce. Later, he becomes wildly successful, and she feels betrayed. After taking care of her ex-husband for nearly two decades, he goes on to create a life of wealth and happiness without her and it causes Melinda to go off the deep end.
Love conquers all, except for when it doesn't.
As women of color, we're always told to "stand by our man" through everything, even if we don't appear to be evenly yoked, no matter how much wrong he does. We are expected to stand by and help our man pick up the pieces. When and if the relationship ends, we are left feeling robbed of our own pieces, full of resentment and ready to slap a b*tch.
There is a Melinda that lives inside of all of us, when and if provoked. We think to ourselves, Don't I deserve something for my time, my energy, and the love I offered you? Taraji said that Melinda is an example of all of the sh*t she would have done if she wasn't scared to go to jail. Don't be bougie, we've all been there.
Acrimony/Tyler Perry Studios
"Love makes you do crazy things," she said on the Today Show. "It's all the things I wish I could have done but hadn't acted on."
College was a rough ride for me. I was miles away from family but I had finally made a home for myself with my then-boyfriend, who was an "artist." When we got into a relationship, he decided not to go into the navy, a choice that he always blamed on me. He was very talented but had no clue what he was going to do with his life.
Thank God he met me.
I filled out every grant and scholarship application there was trying to get him into college, and he was never grateful and I was always mad. As the time went on and I focused on him, my senior year of college passed me by. I missed Homecoming, I never pledged, and I have no memories with my classmates because I was focused on helping him.
I turned down post-graduate internships, avoided applying for jobs in places that were too far out of his comfort zone, and put my dream on the backburner for what I thought was best for us. Fast forward three years, and he's a barber or some sh*t and we're not even together. He never wanted to go to college. And everything that I did for him, I realize now, I was only doing for myself.
Melinda is a symbol of the rage and animosity that women hide so well underneath our kind smiles and encouraging words. As women of color, we often take it upon ourselves to nurture and care for the ones that we love more than we do ourselves. This often leaves us betrayed. Especially when that energy isn't reciprocated. Even more so when that man leaves you and he's left better than you found him, while you're left half-filled, half-loved, and all the way broken.
As much as I wanted to drive up to where he was and bust all the windows out of his car for all of the time, energy, and love that I wasted on him, I understand now that it's much easier for me to just let that sh*t go. I sleep a lot better at night having done that.
Acrimony is a testament to the sheer beauty of letting sh*t go. The truth about life and love is that you're bound to get hurt, and want to hurt somebody, but you must remember that your dignity depends on the release of that hurt.
But for those of us who haven't let it go completely yet, we can definitely live vicariously through Melinda and bust some windows. Metaphorically of course. Watch the trailer for the movie, slated to premiere March 30, below.
- Tyler Perry movie Acrimony starring Taraji P. Henson gets final ... ›
- Tyler Perry, Taraji P. Henson dish on their new thriller 'Acrimony ... ›
- New extended trailer for 'Acrimony' starring Taraji P. Henson has us ... ›
- Taraji P. Henson is a woman scorned in 'Acrimony' (VIDEO ... ›
- Taraji P. Henson is terrifying in new Tyler Perry film 'Acrimony ... ›
- In 'Acrimony', Taraji P. Henson Is Finally Getting Revenge On ... ›
Taylor "Pretty" Honore is a spiritually centered and equally provocative rapper from Baton Rouge, Louisiana with a love for people and storytelling. You can probably find me planting herbs in your local community garden, blasting "Back That Thang Up" from my mini speaker. Let's get to know each other: @prettyhonore.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
The Libra woman and Aries man are the divine feminine and divine masculine, coming together as one. The love compatibility between these two is one for the books. These two are opposite signs, however, their differences tend to complement each other well. This is a dynamic relationship where they know how to have a lot of fun together, but also aren’t afraid to deal with the more serious stuff that comes with a relationship.
The Libra woman is looking for her equal in love, someone who is willing to put in the same effort she is, and the Aries man sees Libra as someone he is willing to do that with.
The Love Compatibility Of A Libra Woman And An Aries Man
What attracts a Libra woman and an Aries man to each other?
There is a magnet of attraction pulling these two together, and things tend to move pretty fast in this relationship. The Libra woman is always open to love and her charming nature rarely has any challenges here. The Aries man fights for his independence and doesn’t sacrifice that unless he is completely enamored with someone.
Once the Aries man catches the eye of the Libra woman, he is typically the one to make the first move and this instantly wins the approval of Libra.
These two feel like they have known each other forever when they meet, and this spark between them doesn’t die down easily.
Hero Images Inc/Getty Images
What is the relationship like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The relationship between the Libra woman and the Aries man is one of balance and excitement. The Aries man tends to take on the more dominant role in this relationship and the Libra woman tends to be the more receptive one. Aries is ruled by masculine Mars, and Libra is ruled by feminine Venus. They understand they are coming from two completely different worlds, yet they also instinctively feel this underlying connection to each other and like they could be something each other needs in their lives.
The Libra woman can rely on the Aries man, and the Aries man never has to ask for the love that Libra already knows he needs.
This is a couple that is often reading each other’s minds and wanting to do a lot of the same things. However, not everything is rainbow in this relationship as well, and there are some major differences they have to overcome to make things work. One argument can lead to an explosion between these two, and addressing things when they come up rather than sweeping them under the rug, will be needed to make this relationship long-term.
What is the sex like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The sex between a Libra woman and an Aries man is adventurous. These are two cardinal signs with plenty of energy and stamina to keep things exciting in the bedroom. There tends to be a good give and take in this relationship, and their yin and yang energy benefits them when it comes to their sex life.
There is electricity felt between the two of them in this area of their life, and their power of attraction to each other is strong. These are two people who will want to do a lot of things together, including exploring sexually together.
The Aries man will have to be careful with being overly aggressive, however, as the soft Libra woman may not like this energy- it will completely depend on the two individuals at hand. The Libra woman wants to ease into things, the Aries man wants to get going right away. Learning about each other's bodies, and energy, and reading each other’s cues will help with this.
Petri Oeschger/Getty Images
What makes a relationship between a Libra woman and an Aries man work?
These two genuinely like each other, and that basis is a key factor for success in any relationship. The Aries man is straight to the point, direct, and inspired. The Libra woman admires these characteristics in others, as she is often herself finding her balance in this type of energy as well. Neither sign is overly emotional in a way that turns them off, and they both require a lot of the same things in a committed relationship. They want honesty, fun, good communication, passion, and to be moving towards a common goal together.
The Libra woman and Aries man don’t have a problem being real with each other and this is something they really value within the relationship. They are both very charming, and there is plenty of flirtation and attraction to keep this relationship going. Aries being the protector they are, Libra finds a sense of safety and ease in this energy, and like they have found their match. Overall, this is a well-balanced relationship and one where they don’t have a problem when it comes to compatibility or chemistry in the relationship.
What may cause a Libra woman and an Aries man to break up?
Libra is the lover, Aries is the fighter, and this energy may be tiring for the both of them after time. The Libra woman can be passive to a fault, and the Aries man who is not evolved, may take advantage of that. She will need to be careful with putting Aries’ needs above her own, creating resentment later down the road. The Aries man loves a challenge, and the Libra woman would be up for that game for a little bit, but if she is not being met in the middle, she will begin to look for other places. These two can have a difficult time keeping the peace in the relationship, and there could be a lot of arguments and disagreements here if they both aren’t willing to put their egos or self-pleasing attitudes to the side.
The Libra woman and Aries man are both more sensitive than they appear or come off as. They are also not necessarily the type to dive deep into their emotions and express them to others, even in their relationships. However, this energy can keep the relationship to a surface level than what is needed to progress and grow the relationship, and a sense of openness is required for this couple to work. Libra needs romance, she wants to be wowed. Aries needs to remember this and to always consider her love language.
Overall, this is a successful pairing. They will have their fair share of challenges in the relationship, but nothing they can’t overcome if they are willing to. The trouble will come in when it comes to the longevity of the relationship, keeping Aries excited and Libra in love. However, all in all, there is more power, attraction, and love to keep this relationship together rather than apart. No relationship is perfect, but this one is a little more blessed than most.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Weekend Images Inc./Getty Images