From Holy to Hubby real quick!
DeVon Franklin might be all about a good word, but that doesn't mean he won't read you between the lines.
Over the weekend, movie producer and pastor DeVon Franklin, and wife, actress Meagan Good, hosted a Christian-themed coupled seminar in light of their latest book, "The Wait: Finding the Love of Your Life Through Abstinence."
While spending Valentine's day at One Church in L.A., the married couple of three years opened up about their journey in celibacy, love and marriage, as well as encouraged the room to ask questions as it pertains to 'waiting' in relationships. Things quickly went somewhat left when an audience member decided to let Meagan Good know how she felt about the 34-year-old actress' choice of attire in such a way that lead Meagan to cry. Implying that Meagan dresses less than conservative, the woman even asked the actress and wife to "cover up."
“This is not offensive, but I was at the grocery store and I looked at a newsstand and saw you, and you had your breast showing. I wasn’t gonna come here; I wasn’t. But the Lord brought me here to see you. You’re beautiful. You are a beautiful young woman and your testimony is awesome. Amen. Amen! The Lord let me come and push past the judgement, because you have to make sure what you say and what you do match up, you understand?So, we’re gonna cover up, right?
Um, ma'am, not so fast!
Before Meagan could even respond to the remark, DeVon stood up in honor of his wife, letting the woman know to not worry about Miss Good's "Goods" (aka his "Goods" too). Bloop!
“Wait a minute no! Nuh-uh. That is not what we’re here for. She’s not gonna cover up, she [Meagan] is gonna wear what she wants to wear in the name of Jesus- amen. Amen? Amen. Yes she will!"
DeVon went on to assure the audience member that although he still has "love" for her, he is also still from Oakland, and is not for the games:
"God bless you, we love you, I love you dearly but she has been a Christian as she is right now. She wore whatever she wanted to wear, so no we ain’t doing that!” “Y’all about to see another DeVon that y’all ain’t never seen! Remember, I’m from Oakland now!"
The crowd let out a collective 'awwww' as DeVon took Meagan (who was visibly upset) into his arm for a passionate kiss, but not before mouthing, "I got you."
But the way DeVon literally adjusted himself in his seat to protect Meagan from the "shots" taken-- Yes Lawd! Push through, 1 Peter 3:7. Protect and honor your vessel, DeVon!
After her hubby gathered up the guest real quick, Meagan garnered up enough strength to respond to the other woman, in the most prayerful and positive way possible:
"I'd like to say one thing. I could've addressed what she said and it would take me a while to address it becasue I have very specific feelings about that. But I just want to say to that young lady, however you feel, if that's how you really feel, then pray for me. And God bless you."
Amen! If you truly believe that your fellow brother or sister in Christ isn't living right, than it's your job to pray for them. The irony is, the woman came not to judge, yet she did anyway. It wasn't her intent that was wrong so much as it was her delivery. Sadly, it is often because of people like her that many are turned off from attending church or Christianity as a whole.
People often think that they must be "perfect" before getting saved and coming to the Lord, but reality is, being saved is very much a process until the day we die. If we could do it without Him, we wouldn't need him. There is a reason why we are told to "come as we are." Meagan gave her life to Christ willingly at the age of 12 and has been working on her process and progress ever since--- just like any and everyone else.
Last year, DeVon had a similar moment at the Essence Festival while addressing the controversy that surrounded Meagan's outfit to the 2013 BET awards.
“I don’t own her [and] she doesn’t own me. We are together and I respect whatever she chooses to put on. When I married her, I said, ‘I accept you for who you are. And whatever you choose to wear, that is your right.’The only ones with the guns out were those that read the same word that says, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ But the love was not there. I don’t have an issue [with her clothes]. It’s not about the dress; it’s about her heart. And I know her heart is amazing, that’s why I love her.”
Some will find a way to judge DeVon's love and logic towards his wife's attire as well. "Well, if you believe in protecting your wife, wouldn't you want her to not be viewed or objectified as an object of lust?" However, this all goes back to what Meagan had to say-- and pray. DeVon, although a preacher, is not perfect either. And perhaps there are flaws in his willingness to not encourage Meagan dress differently. At the end of the day, at least he has the right idea which is to love and protect his wife. And so long as they continue to be open to prayer and asking for God's guidance, they will grow as both individuals and as a union.
Watch the whole video below (you can go to the 53:00 mark to watch the entire interaction)
What are your thoughts on DeVon defending Megan?
A modest goddess who keeps it humble between mumbles. I'm a journalism graduate with a HERstory in digital media, print and radio. Roll the credits: Power 96, VH1, xoNecole, EBONY, SOHH. Deemed "Top 20 Women in Media" by Power 105. Bronx made me, Broward raised me.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Every now and then, a celebrity name drops a tool or regimen that they swear by to keep their beauty and fitness game on lock. And every now and then, those finds make us think that whatever product they're using might be worth the investment. Today, Kelly Rowland just so happens to be that girl.
Over the weekend, while headling Beautycon, the 42-year-old singer revealed to PEOPLE that her biggest beauty splurge comes in the form of LED light therapy. She told the outlet, "There's this light by Shani Darden, the LED light, and it's not cheap. But I literally sleep under it every night."
LED stands for Light Emitting Diode, and in light therapy, these little diodes emit different wavelengths of light to benefit your skin. LED light therapy has seen an uptick in popularity for its benefits, which range from acne reduction and skin rejuvenation to pain relief and a more even skin tone.
She continued, “It's like a 20 to 30-minute time limit. When I'm under there, it [has] red lights, blue lights, and other colors of light. But those are the ones that I use the most, and they are so awesome because of the simple fact that they are like killing germs and [helping with] anti-aging, which is amazing."
Kelly didn't lie when she said her go-to beauty device was a "splurge." Retailing at a whopping $1,900, the Shani Darden best-selling LED Light Therapy Mask "is clinically proven to reduce acne, pigmentation, and wrinkles." Per the website, the re-engineered "diode LEDs deliver the highest dose of red, blue and near infrared light therapy in cutting-edge wavelength combinations for smoothing, clearing and brightening benefits."
Kelly is someone who gets badder with age, and over the years, the wife and mom have been vocal about her dedication to self-care through the use of beauty products. In a 2022 interview with PEOPLE, she shared her inner beauty philosophy, "Give yourself as many compliments as you possibly can. You start with one, you can have two. You have two, you can have four."
Keep scrolling for some of Kelly Rowland's other beauty faves, including a couple of additional Shani Darden finds:
Pat McGrath Labs Sublime Perfection Foundation
Pat McGrath Labs
"For me [with foundation] it was either not enough coverage or too much coverage … Pat [McGrath] found the perfect blend of them both," Kelly told PEOPLE. "This is actually my color, and it blends in beautifully with the skin – the texture of it is just like silk. I brush it on, or, sometimes I use the little sponge and push it into the skin. It's my favorite. She just nailed it, she really nailed it."
Regarding this product, Kelly revealed to The Cut, "I go up my cheekbones, across my skin and my temples with her wand — it’s incredible."
"I've been with [esthetician] Shani [Darden] for almost 10 years. I was having the toughest time with my skin after I had Titan [seven years ago]. Before she sold this, she put it in a little tube for me and told me when and how to use it–she likes to educate, which I really appreciate–and my skin changed in a matter of two weeks." - via PEOPLE
“Sometimes I use the Rich Cream, and sometimes I just use the Cream," she explained to The Cut about her product preferences.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Paras Griffin/Getty Images for Beautycon™