"Womanist is to feminist, as purple is to lavender." - Alice Walker
There is no doubt that aligning yourself with black women is a surest way to get sh*t done. Getting sh*t done is what we do, as we are wired to power through and make the impossible happen. This past year, it was shockingly apparent that black women continue to save lives without praise or incentive. A perfect example of that is the victory of Doug Jones over Roy Moore in the Alabama Senate election proved that African American women are the driving force of the Democratic party.
While we are so here for the unity that has been shown through movements like #metoo and Time's Up, there is a need to erase white feminism and make the revolution intersectional. Let's keep it all the way one hundred, as a society, we are inherently conditioned to hear the whimpers of white women and overlook the screams from women of color. The playing field has been unleveled for decades but it is reassuring to know that there are women who have been championing change for all the little black girls and women. Back in the day, we had queens like Bell Hooks and Alice Walker who were determined to push their conscious and unwavering narratives forward by any means.
In celebration of womanhood and intersectional feminism, go ahead and follow some badass women that forever give us hope and keep us woke.
1.Tamika D. Mallory
Tamika D. Mallory is one of the national co-chairs of the Women's March, so you know she is all about evoking change and the galvanization of women. Political organizing is in her blood, being that her parents helped create the Reverend Al Sharpton's National Action Network. This year, Mallory and her girl gang focused on a national voter registration phenomenon, "Power to the Polls." By fighting voter suppression and electing progressive female candidates, the focus is redirected to women empowerment and not Number 45.
I have no doubt that you have already used one of this dope poet's quotes as your most liked Facebook status in the past. Alex Elle is an amazing poet and author who is a vision of hope. In 2017, she released Neon Soul: A Collection of Poetry and Prose, where she promotes self-care and resilience as she shares her triumphs and adversities. Adding this beauty to your timeline is sure to brighten up your day and help you stand in your unapologetic truth as a woman cultivated from magic.
Angela Rye is every woman. From her job at CNN as a Political commentator to being CEO of IMPACT Strategies, Angela is like your favorite homegirl who has all the knowledge and is completely unafraid to speak truth to power. Any woman that says, "Bye Felicia!" on national television is a woman you want on your team and your feed! To add more magic to the list, she hosts a podcast, On One with Angela Rye, spilling all of the pop culture, race relations, and political tea. Blavity also reported that our favorite homegirl is "set to host and executive produce a quarterly news show for BET, which is poised to dig deep into issues and stories affecting black America."
Known on social by the alias Frida Cash Flow, Gabrielle's username alone should make you want to follow her. She is also the co-founder of ArtHoe Collective, a movement created by Queer People Of Color to provide a space for all creatives of color. You can expect straight positivity and encouragement from this dope woman because she is all about accepting your flaws.
Full of sass and comedic brilliance, Michelle Buteau will fill your timeline with hilarious selfies and videos sure to have you crying laughing when you need it the most. Michelle has been giving us feminist vibes since she became a staple at VH1. We love her ability to highlight the woes and wins of being a black woman.
You know that girl boss you've seen killing the yoga game in the U by Kotex commercials? It's Jessamyn Stanley and she is the queen of body positivity. Jessamyn nurtures yoga as a means for slaying mental and physical barriers. Her fearless photos will keep you from skipping the gym every Monday.
She's more than her character Rue from The Hunger Games. In high school, Amandla Stenberg created a song "Don't Cash Crop My Cornrows," highlighting the appropriation that has been an issue for black women for years. Not to mention, Beyonce told her while filming Lemonade that she wants Blue to be like her when she grows up. Any friend of Beyonce's is a friend of mine.
Patrisse Cullors-Brignac is a proud queer activist on a mission to change the world. The co-founder of the Black Lives Matters movement is the epitome of a freedom fighter with her work in the civil rights movement. The recent release of her book, When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir, has been receiving lots of attention, as it should.
Talk about a black girl who rocks, 12-year-old Marley Dias is the young woman even I strive to be. She kickstarted the #1000BlackGirlBooks campaign after frustration with books that only gabbed about white boys and their dogs. By February 1st of 2017, she collected 1,000 books with African American heroines as the leads to show that black girls are not just minor characters.
10. Michaela Angela Davis
Black and blonde beauty, Michaela Angela Davis, is 1000% rooting for every black woman, whether she knows you or not. The owner of the MAD FREE conversation project is no stranger to pushing the envelope upheld by her activist work is centered around valuing black women. As you scroll down your Instagram feed, you will feel inclined to double tap all of her rousing posts of her astounding street style, picturesque travels, and straight up magic.
We know that the list goes on but let us know which woman is your favorite and which ladies you follow on your feed.
Featured image by Ray Tamarra/GC Images
- The Weirdest, Best Instagram Accounts to Follow in 2018 - Vogue ›
- 5 of the Best Travel Instagram Accounts to Follow ›
- Bored By Your Instagram Friends? Here Are 28 Refreshing ... ›
- 13 Funny Instagram Accounts to Follow | StyleCaster ›
- The Best Instagram Accounts to Follow | Digital Trends ›
- The 50 best fitness Instagram accounts to follow in 2018 - Business ... ›
- The Best Braiding Accounts on Instagram ›
Joce Blake is a womanist who loves fashion, Beyonce and Hot Cheetos. The sophistiratchet enthusiast is based in Brooklyn, NY but has southern belle roots as she was born and raised in Memphis, TN. Keep up with her on Instagram @joce_blake and on Twitter @SaraJessicaBee.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
The Libra woman and Aries man are the divine feminine and divine masculine, coming together as one. The love compatibility between these two is one for the books. These two are opposite signs, however, their differences tend to complement each other well. This is a dynamic relationship where they know how to have a lot of fun together, but also aren’t afraid to deal with the more serious stuff that comes with a relationship.
The Libra woman is looking for her equal in love, someone who is willing to put in the same effort she is, and the Aries man sees Libra as someone he is willing to do that with.
The Love Compatibility Of A Libra Woman And An Aries Man
What attracts a Libra woman and an Aries man to each other?
There is a magnet of attraction pulling these two together, and things tend to move pretty fast in this relationship. The Libra woman is always open to love and her charming nature rarely has any challenges here. The Aries man fights for his independence and doesn’t sacrifice that unless he is completely enamored with someone.
Once the Aries man catches the eye of the Libra woman, he is typically the one to make the first move and this instantly wins the approval of Libra.
These two feel like they have known each other forever when they meet, and this spark between them doesn’t die down easily.
Hero Images Inc/Getty Images
What is the relationship like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The relationship between the Libra woman and the Aries man is one of balance and excitement. The Aries man tends to take on the more dominant role in this relationship and the Libra woman tends to be the more receptive one. Aries is ruled by masculine Mars, and Libra is ruled by feminine Venus. They understand they are coming from two completely different worlds, yet they also instinctively feel this underlying connection to each other and like they could be something each other needs in their lives.
The Libra woman can rely on the Aries man, and the Aries man never has to ask for the love that Libra already knows he needs.
This is a couple that is often reading each other’s minds and wanting to do a lot of the same things. However, not everything is rainbow in this relationship as well, and there are some major differences they have to overcome to make things work. One argument can lead to an explosion between these two, and addressing things when they come up rather than sweeping them under the rug, will be needed to make this relationship long-term.
What is the sex like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The sex between a Libra woman and an Aries man is adventurous. These are two cardinal signs with plenty of energy and stamina to keep things exciting in the bedroom. There tends to be a good give and take in this relationship, and their yin and yang energy benefits them when it comes to their sex life.
There is electricity felt between the two of them in this area of their life, and their power of attraction to each other is strong. These are two people who will want to do a lot of things together, including exploring sexually together.
The Aries man will have to be careful with being overly aggressive, however, as the soft Libra woman may not like this energy- it will completely depend on the two individuals at hand. The Libra woman wants to ease into things, the Aries man wants to get going right away. Learning about each other's bodies, and energy, and reading each other’s cues will help with this.
Petri Oeschger/Getty Images
What makes a relationship between a Libra woman and an Aries man work?
These two genuinely like each other, and that basis is a key factor for success in any relationship. The Aries man is straight to the point, direct, and inspired. The Libra woman admires these characteristics in others, as she is often herself finding her balance in this type of energy as well. Neither sign is overly emotional in a way that turns them off, and they both require a lot of the same things in a committed relationship. They want honesty, fun, good communication, passion, and to be moving towards a common goal together.
The Libra woman and Aries man don’t have a problem being real with each other and this is something they really value within the relationship. They are both very charming, and there is plenty of flirtation and attraction to keep this relationship going. Aries being the protector they are, Libra finds a sense of safety and ease in this energy, and like they have found their match. Overall, this is a well-balanced relationship and one where they don’t have a problem when it comes to compatibility or chemistry in the relationship.
What may cause a Libra woman and an Aries man to break up?
Libra is the lover, Aries is the fighter, and this energy may be tiring for the both of them after time. The Libra woman can be passive to a fault, and the Aries man who is not evolved, may take advantage of that. She will need to be careful with putting Aries’ needs above her own, creating resentment later down the road. The Aries man loves a challenge, and the Libra woman would be up for that game for a little bit, but if she is not being met in the middle, she will begin to look for other places. These two can have a difficult time keeping the peace in the relationship, and there could be a lot of arguments and disagreements here if they both aren’t willing to put their egos or self-pleasing attitudes to the side.
The Libra woman and Aries man are both more sensitive than they appear or come off as. They are also not necessarily the type to dive deep into their emotions and express them to others, even in their relationships. However, this energy can keep the relationship to a surface level than what is needed to progress and grow the relationship, and a sense of openness is required for this couple to work. Libra needs romance, she wants to be wowed. Aries needs to remember this and to always consider her love language.
Overall, this is a successful pairing. They will have their fair share of challenges in the relationship, but nothing they can’t overcome if they are willing to. The trouble will come in when it comes to the longevity of the relationship, keeping Aries excited and Libra in love. However, all in all, there is more power, attraction, and love to keep this relationship together rather than apart. No relationship is perfect, but this one is a little more blessed than most.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Weekend Images Inc./Getty Images