Protective styles are dope because they allow you to give your kinks a break from the daily struggle, while also maintaining healthy hair.
Some natural haired girls swear by protective styling for length retention and hair growth and allow the styling method to replace the need for everyday manipulation and maintenance. And although sew-ins, box braids, crochet braids, Havana twists, and marley twists are holy grail protective style, I prefer quick and easy protective styles that I can do myself.
Below are 4 of my favorite protectives styles that you can easily do yourself.
xoNecole writer Krissy Lewis rocking the short twists style.
I love short twists because they're the perfect length to avoid any extra heat and easily maintain it. I also love how flexible you can get when it comes to styling. You can wear it in a ponytail, a bun, half up and half down, or out. And you can also untwist them and have the look of a bomb twist out when you're tired of the style.
Here's What You'll Need:
- Twisting cream
- Hair accessories (optional)
How To Achieve This Style:
- First, start off with clean and blow dried hair.
- Next, section your hair. With this step, the smaller the section is, the more twists you'll be able to achieve. But, the bigger the section is, the bigger the twists will be. This is completely up to you.
- Then, apply a twisting cream and/or moisturizing gel to each section (from top to bottom). The gel is key for an extra hold and making sure your twists last longer. Be sure to brush the root so it's nice and neat.
- Add a rubberband to the top and/or bottom of each twist to make sure this style lasts a bit longer. I recommend using two rubberbands at the top of each twist. This way if you add oil or cream to your hair, you'll have extra backup.
- Next just twist and repeat for each section.
- Lastly, style and add accessories.