As embarrassing as it is, butt hair exists. And whoever says they don't have it is lying.
While some of us rock hair wherever it grows, there's another group of us that are busy getting rid of the hair on our legs, under arms and vajayjays. Meanwhile, our butts are sitting there like, "You missed a spot."
While I'm on this trek of getting to know myself inside and out, I came across butt hair that I wasn't necessarily crazy about. And after doing a quick Google search, I realized this is nothing new. But how do we get rid of it? There's definitely an answer for those of us that can be super self-conscious about it.
Get It Gone For Good
Like hair on other parts of our bodies, laser hair removal is the trick to get it gone for good. Of course, considering this method is as permanent as it comes, it's not the cheapest way to go when it comes to telling your butt hair to get lost. But it's certainly effective. Apparently, a super intense laser is what does the trick for not only butt hair but hair everywhere else. If this is the route you decide to go, get ready to clear your schedule for the day. But hey, at least there won't be any more hair on that side of "down there" ever again.
If you're already into waxing, this is a no brainer. To be honest, I didn't even know this was an option until I got waxed just days before my wedding. One of my friends asked, "Did you get the rootie to the tootie?" And I was proud to tell her I sure did. But of course, the hair has grown back a million times over since then. So, waxing is certainly an option, you'll just have to be okay with going consistently if that's your thing. A plus is that even though it's more painful than laser hair removal (raise your hand if you snap at the person doing your waxes every time), your wallet will still be smiling at you when it's all said in done…even if your butt isn't.
While there should be, there's no book called How to Shave Your Butt for Dummies. So this tacic definitely takes a lot of skill. While I'm a proud shaver, I know I'm not that coordinated. One recommendation I've seen is to use a mirror and of course a high-quality razor to make sure you don't accidentally injure yourself. But I feel like if we can shave our vaginas, which are arguably much more sensitive than any other part of our bodies, we can definitely shave our booties. It just takes a little more hand-eye coordination and focus. And after all that effort, don't be surprised when new hair makes its comeback a few days later. Seriously, who approved for hair to grow there to begin with?
So however you decide to remove your butt hair, the key is to keep that area moisturized at all times. This will certainly help ease any potential pain when it comes to waxing, shaving or using a laser to remove it temporarily or for good. Keep in mind that butt hair is pretty much like pubic hair on our vaginas, it's just in a different spot. So staying moisturized (things like lotion or coconut oil will do just fine) will help prevent inflammation, damaged skin or worse… razor burns and ingrown hairs. Ick. On top of all of that, don't be afraid to dab a little aftershave on it to make sure that it doesn't dry up.
If butt hair is something that you're concerned about, or just freaks you out, it's never a bad idea to talk to your dermatologist about it. They can definitely give you the best removal methods that best suits your body. Or they could just make you feel better about rocking it to your heart's content. After all, if most of us didn't know it was really there to begin with, what difference would it make if we don't remove it? For me, it's just all about preference, sis. If you're going for a smooth body from the "rootie to the tootie," then yeah, definitely remove your butt hair. But if you're indifferent or don't even care, that's cool too!
Featured image by Getty Images
The Best Shaving Creams For "Down There" Hair Removal – Read More
Untamed Va-jay-jay: I Went From Bare To Loving My Hair Down There – Read More
I Got A Sugar Wax And The Results Had Me Shook – Read More
Eyebrow Maintenance: The Pros and Cons of Threading, Waxing and Tweezing – Read More
- Care For Pubic Hair Down There - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- These Women Say It's Okay to Rock Pubic Hair - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Best Way to Remove Hair in Your Buttcrack | Manscipated ›
- Butt Hair: Everything You Need To Know - How To Remove Butt Hair ›
- Butt Hair Removal Guide: Everything From Wax To Rashes ›
- Everything You Need to Know About Grooming Your Ass | GQ ›
- How to remove butt hair according to the pros | Well+Good ›
- How to Remove Butt Hair | Livestrong.com ›
- Everything You Need To Know About Butt Hair And How To Remove It ›
Charmaine Patterson is a journalist, lifestyle blogger, and a lover of all things pop culture. While she has much experience in covering top entertainment news stories, she aims to share her everyday life experiences, old and new, with other women who can relate, laugh, and love along with her. Follow Char on Twitter @charjpatterson, Instagram @charpatterson, and keep up with her journey at CharJPatterson.com .
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images