26 Apple Cider Vinegar Uses
A trip to Sephora or to your local grocery store can sometimes be overwhelming with the wide selection of products and brands to choose from. Not to mention that so many beauty and house cleaning items have harmful chemicals in them that will send your body into straight defense mode (but that's a discussion for another post)! Some of the best beauty and house cleaning items are right in your kitchen, saving you from a stressful trip to the store and keeping money in your pockets.
Apple Cider Vinegar is like 'Tussin. It can do all things (joking—I hated when my Grandma told me to, and I quote, “put some 'Tussin on it"). But seriously, Apple Cider Vinegar actually has a magnitude of benefits. From facial toner to deodorizer, it's that one staple product that you always want to keep on hand.
My favorite brand of Apple Cider Vinegar is Bragg's Organic, which contains “mother," or in other words strands of proteins, enzymes, and friendly bacteria. It's magical. And to prove it, here are 26 ways that you can use ACV as a part of your daily cleansing and beauty routines.
1. Clean and Disinfect
ACV can disinfect just as well as bleach—minus the harsh smell. Dilute the vinegar with water (one part water, one part ACV) and can be mixed with lemon juice, salt, or essential oils for added benefits.
Be careful when using this mixture on wood floors, you don't want to get them too wet.
2. Un-Wrinkle Your Clothing
This is my favorite (I hate to iron). Fill a spray bottle with three parts ACV and one part water, spray all over your wrinkled clothing and hang to dry.
3. Freshen Up a Room
In a spray bottle, combine one part ACV, one part water and one part Essential Oil. Mist in to the air as frequently as needed.
4. Clean Your Coffee Maker
Pour two parts ACV and one part water into your coffee maker and run it as you would normally. For fresher tasting coffee, repeat every three months.
5. Remove the Annoying Stickers
Soak stickers with vinegar and let stick for at least 20 minutes, scrap it off with a butter knife.
6. Brighten Up Your Electronics
Disinfect your phone, tablet, computer or TV screen using vinegar to wipe them down and give them fresh out the box shine.
7. Make a Toner
Neutralize your pH, making your skin soft and smooth using ACV as a toner. Dilute if the smell is too strong.
8. Condition Your Hair
Remove buildup on your scalp, making your hair shiny in the process.
9. Prevent Ingrown Hairs
Dilute with water, shake well, and apply after shaving to prevent ingrown hairs.
10. Aid Your Digestion
Apple Cider Vinegar has pectin, which calms intestinal spasms, and it can ward off the bacteria that causes diarrhea, bloating and gas. Add 1 tablespoon of ACV into a cup of water and drink before meals.
11. Treat Toe Fungus and Warts
Tape a cotton ball soaked in ACV and leave it on overnight. Repeat until the wart or fungus is gone.
12. Get Fresh Breath
Gargle with water and Apple Cider Vinegar for 10 minutes to get rid of bad breath.
13. Use as a Natural Deodorant
Applying ACV to your armpits neutralized odors, acting as a deodorant.
14. Boost Energy
Drinking a tablespoon of ACV with water, helps to prevent exhaustion, thanks to potassium and enzymes in the vinegar.
15. Soothe a Sore Throat
Kill off the germs causing discomfort by gargling ACV—they can't survive in an acidic environment.
16. Whiten Your Teeth
Brushing with ACV works as a natural whitener if you give it time (at least a month). It's important to be careful using this method, too much vinegar can remove enamel. After brushing with ACV, you will need to brush again with regular toothpaste, preferably a non fluoride paste, or rinse your mouth out really well.
17. Clean the Oven
Mix ACV with baking soda to clean your drains and oven.
18. Get Rid of Smoke Odor
Remove the lingering smoky odor by placing a small bowl of ACV where the smell is the strongest. The odor should disappear in a day.
19. Trap Fruit Flies
You can get rid of those pesky flies by filing up an old jar about halfway with ACV, punch a few holes in the lid, screw it back on.
20. Wipe Away Mildew
Remove mildew stains by wiping at the stain with a cloth, diluting for lighter stains.
21. Disinfect Toilet Bowls
Pour two cups of Apple Cider Vinegar and let soak overnight before flushing. Do this weekly to prevent water rings from appearing.
22. Clean Your Toothbrush Holder
Get that disgusting grime off your toothbrush holder by cleaning the openings with cotton swabs soaked in Apple Cider Vinegar.
23. Keep Flowers Fresh
Mix two tablespoons of ACV and two tablespoons of sugar with the water before adding the flowers.
24. Ward off Candida
Apple Cider Vinegar helps to fight off the intestinal yeast overgrowth by killing the yeast, creating a die off reaction.
25. Soothes Sunburns
There are several ways to soothe a sunburn with ACV. Fill a spray bottle with vinegar and water to spray on the sunburned skin. Dip a washcloth in vinegar, wringing the cloth out, and patting it gently on the affect areas. Take a cool bath with the diluted ACV.
Apple Cider Vinegar alkalizes the body, playing a major role in the way it heals itself. It helps the body to remove toxic waste before it can do damage without sacrificing minerals, vitamins, and enzymes. It aids digestion, improves bowel movements, detoxifies your liver, purifies your blood or clogging your arteries.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Many have wondered if one time is ever enough to see Queen Bey. Some argue yes. However, many of us on the opposite end of the spectrum, including myself, would disagree. Beyoncé's "Renaissance World Tour" is a universal yet varying experience for everyone who attends. In the words of Oprah Winfrey, the concert is "transcendent." For millennials, we have over two decades of her catalog that has served as the soundtrack for many of our lives and painted a personal portrait of our most coveted thoughts. Her music provides mental clarity and self-expression by serving as a universal language that has united fans from all walks of life through community, fashion, self-acceptance, and healing.
With a multi-layered approach to her artistry, just as she did on that winter day in December 2013 with the infamous digital drop of her self-titled album, she changed the game again on February 1, 2023, when she announced her world tour in support of Renaissance, her seventh studio album. Her cultural impact set the internet ablaze, with everyone trying to gather their coins, barter for presale codes, and figure out which cities to attend. The group chats were lit, and the Beyhive was stressed trying to get their hands on tickets.
Beyoncé's Renaissance tour stop in L.A.
Photo courtesy of Dontaira Terrell
Unfortunately, I was in that number. As the concert dates passed by and the one in my city drawing near all roads led to disappointment. With time ticking on the day of the Miami show and less than two hours to spare, my wallet bit the bullet, and I purchased three last-minute tickets, costing roughly $700.00 a piece (including fees) for me, my 9-year-old and 16-year-old nieces in Section 121 at the Hard Rock Stadium. With 10 minutes before showtime, we eagerly awaited the Queen to take the stage. A sea of metallic fringes, cowboy hats, disco fans, and western boots were in full effect and filled the entire stadium.
Dontaira with her nieces at Beyoncé's Renaissance tour stop in Miami.
Photo courtesy of Dontaira Terrell
As the lights dimmed, a flood of emotions instantly overtook my body. It continued with each note she belted, along with nearly 50,000 roaring fans. The reverberating sound of the music through the stadium transported me from one era of my life to the next. As a teen girl in her bedroom daydreaming about her first love to blossoming into an unapologetic Black woman who is still on a road of self-discovery while learning to lean into the power anthem of "You won't break my soul." For over two hours, and with each set, I felt joy, love, peace, and a commanderie with fellow concertgoers. It was therapeutic as I danced like no one was watching and sang as if I were alone in my bathroom mirror.
There were no bars held, and I realized at that moment, "Nobody can judge me but me." The "Renaissance World Tour" proved to be so vast, and my Black girl joy was re-invigorated. It was magnetic and liberating, and I had to attend again, but this time, I needed to be up close and personal; I needed to be on the floor. In the days that passed, I watched more social media clips in different cities and asked myself if I would really splurge again to attend another Renaissance show.
Beyoncé's Renaissance tour stop in Miami.
Photo courtesy of Dontaira Terrell
After all, this would be my thirteenth time (maybe more because I lost count) seeing Beyoncé live, whether she was on tour with Destiny's Child, as a solo artist, or doing a live appearance. I contemplated for a while, but it worked itself out on its own. I was gifted two tickets and the next thing I knew, I was off to LA to attend another Renaissance show with floor seats at SoFi Stadium during Beyonce's 42nd birthday weekend! This time, things were different: no kids were allowed. It was adults only this go round.
Although the energy at the Miami and Los Angeles shows was empowering, infectious, and a celebration of life, happiness, and identity, they each provided their own unique experience. However, both concerts were what I needed for my well-being, leaving me with sore feet from dancing the night away, on vocal rest for the next few days from screaming at the top of my lungs, and on an indefinite high on life.
My introduction and love for Beyoncé began in 1996, while my older sister lived in Houston, TX, right before Bey hit the scene in 1998 with "No, No, No" as a budding R&B member. Her evolution twenty-seven years later as an international superstar and into womanhood has been an incredible journey to witness. As Mrs. Carter reminds each of us in the audience every night before the curtain closes, "I want you to remember this moment, where you're standing, who you came with, and take it with you. I hope you feel inspired."
I truly felt inspired, so thank you, Queen Bey. You awakened my inner child, and I will definitely remember these moments and take them with me.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Kevin Mazur/WireImage for Parkwood