Let's talk about that job sis...
Today it's not uncommon to hear conversations around mental health. Black women have become advocates for therapy, healing from past traumas and childhood wounds, and adopting self-care as a normal routine. But when it comes to our wellness in the workplace, we've been slow to remove our superwoman capes.
Inspired by the recent xoNecole article, "I Took A Two-Month Leave From Work For My Mental Health", the Happy Hour squad shares the story of an Entertainment Director who was forced to take a two month stress leave from work. And she's not the only one who put her mental wellness on the backburner. In this episode, the ladies share their different encounters with anxiety while on the clock. From Necole feeling burned out from the acquisition and expansion of xoNecole and Sheriden becoming a slave to her inbox, to Amer working in a no-days-off environment with tough management to match, each story is a reminder of the importance of putting yourself first. And thanks to advice from clinical psychologist Dr. Ayanna Abrams, you'll learn how to fill your cup instead of your to-do list.
Listen and subscribe to xoNecole Happy Hour on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.
xoNecole Happy Hour
Things you will learn in this episode:
- How Dr. Ayanna Abrams suggests we create boundaries at work
- How the Happy Hour hosts have navigated anxiety and panic attacks
- What FMLA is and how it protects you while taking time off from your job for mental health reasons
- How to verify your FMLA with a doctor
- What exactly happens in our bodies during moments of panic and anxiety
- Mindfulness exercises to practice
- The 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 exercise for slowing down your body
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Dr. Ayanna Abrams' contact information
- Practice: https://ascensionbehavioralhealth.com/
- Instagram: @dr_ayanna_a
xoNecole article(s) mentioned:
Tune in every Wednesday for your midweek refill! You can connect with us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram at @xohappyhour and use the tag #xohappyhour to join the social convos.
Leave us a voice message on xohappyhour.com to share your story with us or ask a question for a chance to be featured on the show!
Featured image by Shutterstock