Jordin Sparks rose to fame in 2007 when she was crowned the youngest American Idol winner at 17.
Since then, the singer and actress has dominated the entertainment industry by selling millions of records and starring in countless films. In addition to the professional success, Jordin, now 33, also created a family with her husband, Dana Isaiah, and their 4-year-old son Dana Isaiah Jr, whom she occasionally shows off on her social media page.
During a recent interview with People, Jordin shared details about her family life, including the bond she and her husband built through their love of music and how she balances motherhood and work.
Jordin On The Beginning Stages Of Her Relationship With Dana And How The Pair Became an A&R Team
While promoting her partnerships with Women Who Rock and Hard Rock Heals Foundation organizations, Jordin revealed that when she first met her husband Dana, they instantly hit it off because of the pair's appreciation for music.
Jordin and Dana's love story began in 2017 after the couple's mothers placed the two in a group message. The "Battlefield" vocalist mentioned that she was thoroughly "impressed" by Dana when she heard his music playlists as they took a road trip.
"When we first met, we definitely bonded over our love of music. He really impressed me," she said. "We went on our first little road trip, and he had the aux cord, so he was taking the music, taking us on this journey. I really appreciated how he was able to transition from one song to the next. I was like, 'You have a really good ear.' He was like, 'Oh, thanks. I love music.' But he wasn't thinking the way I was thinking where I was just like, 'OK, he's got a really good ear. He's got really good taste.'"
The couple's bond over music grew as they married in July 2017, so much so that they are now working together as an A&R team. The "One Step at a Time" songstress disclosed that the process gradually began during the pandemic when she and Dana started working together on music. Shortly after, the 30-year-old would become her A&R and manager.
Reflecting on her marriage and working alongside her almost six-year-old husband, Jordin stated she is "grateful" to have Dana by her side.
"We both just work really well together. We both have our core values, we love each other, we like each other — which is really important. I think we're stronger now. We definitely have a bond that nobody can take away. I'm just really, really grateful to have him by my side," the Sparkle star explained while also talking about how well they work together.
Another reason why they work well together, Dana empowers her and believes in her dreams.
"My relationship with my husband empowers me all the time. He definitely wants to see me shine," she said. "I've never had a relationship where I felt that they really believed in my dreams, that they really wanted to see those things come to fruition, that they really wanted to be like, "Hey, spread your wings and fly. Try this, and go for that part, or do this song, or go for that collaboration, or show a little skin." So, it's been amazing to have somebody who literally is just, "Whatever you want to do, I want to be there to help you do it." It enables me to have freedom in my creative process and my work that I haven't had before. I'm very empowered."
Jordin On Her Son And Being A Working Mother
Later in the interview, Jordin spoke about her son Dana Jr. The mother of one opened up about Dana Jr.'s personality and how she tries to enjoy every accomplishment he has. Jordin described the kindergartener as "fun" and a truthful person.
"He is very, very fun right now. He's in kindergarten, and man, he is just always learning something new, which is fun, but what's really been fun for me right now is seeing his personality come through," the singer said. “He is 100% his own person. He has his own thoughts, [and] he's got his own opinions. With DJ, you're never going to wonder what's going on. He's always going to tell you the truth, so that's been really fun to experience."
Jordin went on to say that one of the things she enjoys about raising Dana Jr. is the close bond the pair have developed. She even marveled that her son "cuddles" with her and tells her he loves her.
Near the end of her statement, Jordin shared how she's been able to be present in Dana Jr.'s life despite being a working mom. The actress revealed that because of her hectic schedule and the constant traveling, she prioritizes leaving "work at the door" when she comes home because she doesn't want to miss out on Dana Jr.'s "milestones."
"With the kind of job that I have, I'm traveling all the time and going to different places. So for me, I have to leave work at the door because I want him to know that I am completely present when I'm with him. We're learning every day because he is our first and only baby, and so every day is something new. Every milestone that he hits is new for us. We're all just trying to celebrate together in those moments," she said.
With these recent revelations, it appears that Jordin has found the perfect balance between her personal and professional life.
Feature image by Michael Tran/Getty Images
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Watching Angela “Blac Chyna” White’s transformation in real-time has truly been a sight to see. It wasn’t that long ago that she announced that she was reversing her cosmetic surgeries in an effort to go back to who she was before the world came to know her as Blac Chyna. In previous interviews, she stated that she was dissolving her facial and lip fillers, removing her breast implants, and getting a butt reduction, as well as removing the dimple piercings that enhanced her fame and controversial tattoos.
In a recent Tamron Hall interview, the mother of two said that she has “fully recovered” from the procedures. She is also celebrating one year of sobriety and opened up about being worried about how her new journey would be received by others.
“I’ve been in the entertainment industry for so long, right, and of course, like, you know, coming out, I’m like young, I’m gonna do wild things as we all have,” she said.
“...I feel like by me being vocal and showing everybody you can change your life and things can get better, like through myself, that right there is an accomplishment, and that’s a part of freedom, too.”
But as she started on her journey, many people have shown her grace, which is something she’s grateful for. “And then the fact that people have been showing me grace, it’s like amazing,” she said. “And I feel like when I did it, I just did it. It was more so like spiritual thing and I feel like people see that, and I’ve always been like my authentic self, so what you see is kinda what you get with me, and that’s just kinda what it is.”
Chyna, who recently received an honorary doctorate from Sacramento Theology Seminary and Bible College, has also repaired her relationship with her mom, Tokyo Toni. The social media celebrity surprised her daughter on the Tamron Hall Show. Prior to the sentimental surprise, Chyna dished on the reconciliation and having a better understanding of her mom.
“I must say, some of the things I have to take accountability for because, like my actions. As a mother, you don’t want to see your daughter doing certain things ‘cause it’s like it doesn’t matter what my past was or what we’re going through, I didn’t raise you that way,” she admitted. “So, it’s like, okay, maybe I was a little bit wrong. Maybe I was acting out a little bit. But I feel like as we grow older, I kinda see more, and I understand more.”
Chyna will be starring in season two of Fox's reality competition show Special Forces: World's Toughest Test.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Kevin Winter/Getty Images