When it comes to money, many of us are behind in ways to provide passive income strategies for our families. Particularly, something that many of us in the culture don't do enough of, is investing. It's simple, to the point, a way to make sure your family is comfortable without putting much effort into doing so.
Well, the celebrities of today does lots of it. In fact, many of their careers take a backseat to the opportunities they have to build their portfolios and create generational wealth for years to come. Now, celebs do more than just sing, act, play a sport, or secure a few little endorsement deals. Additionally, now, they push the limits on those contracts, or with building that business, or capitalizing on their brands. And I ain't mad at them. In fact, I celebrate and welcome them. So, join me as we do just that.
Here's a list of the leading Black celebrity investors in the world:
Note: Data is complied from money.co.uk. They were surveyed on five factors: net worth, number of investments (personal and partner investments), highest investment sum, estimated total amount of funding and average investment sum.
Jay Z + Beyonce
Rapper turned billionaire entrepreneur, a.k.a. Jay Z, obviously topped the list as the celebrity with the most investments. He has made stacks from his album sales and tours, sure, but most of his coins come from his business moves, which include music, tech, art, and luxury alcohol brands. Jay is very well aware of his influence and uses it to his advantage. Buying art for a small(ish) price, rapping about said artist in multiple songs to increase the value, and sitting back and watching it collect prestige, is what he does. And now, the rest of his portfolio, according to money.co.uk, has at least 11 personal and partner investments with a total investment sum of $983M--tech and champagne being his biggest investment areas.
This means that the once kid from Marcy projects, is now worth a cool $1.2 billion.
As far as Bey, she recently announced that she was investing in a hemp farm to obtain her own CBD. She also has a partnership with Adidas, as well as many upcoming business ventures on the way (you know she doesn't give too much away until she's ready).
Up next is Oprah Winfrey--also a billionaire, but that has found huge success in media with a career that spans well over 20 years. From here, she pivoted her talk show into a business, and her brand into an empire.
Oprah has a 25.5% stake in her created cable channel OWN. She also has a 10% stake in Weight Watchers. Her other investments includes Maven clinic, Oatly, Apeel Sciences, True Food Kitchen and Waywire.
The one and only Compton doctor, Dr. Dre came in next. Dr. Dre is the epitome of what a music producer is and has held this title in a way that no other has. His entrepreneurial journey began in 1996 when he created The Aftermath, shortly after leaving Death Row records that March. And as we all know, he eventually founded Beats by Dre, and sold it to Apple for $3 billion. He still has 20% stake in the company. #whew
The greatest athlete of all time, Ms. Serena Williams, through her Serena Ventures, has invested in 34 startups over the past five years, with 60% of the investments focused on companies founded by women and minorities. OK, I'm going to say that again: The greatest athlete of all time, Ms. Serena Williams, through her Serena Ventures, has invested in 34 startups over the past five years, with 60% of the investments focused on companies founded by women and minorities.
She launched a self-funded, direct-to-consumer clothing line, S by Serena, in 2018. She also owns stakes in the NFL's Miami Dolphins and Dana White's UFC. Flex on the people, sis!
Williams Adams, a.k.a. the brainchild of popular eclectic group, Black Eyed Peas, is quite the entrepreneur. He invested in (and acquired) a $4.6 million stake in app-only bank Atom in 2017, and he has also dabbled in tech in the last few years, putting his money in startups such as the app 'Knock Knock', and he's even launched his own line of headphones.
Will.i.am is even international with his investments, as he's invested £5m ($6m) in Music Messenger's Series A round, followed by a further investment of £5m in Shellanoo Group and £3m investment in Honest Dollar.
Nasir Jones has quietly established himself as one of the most prolific investors in the world. In April, Yahoo News reported that he could be $100 million richer following his 2013 investment in Coinbase, the cryptocurrency exchange expected to reach over $100 billion in valuation once going public. He's also the founder of QueensBridge Venture Partners, which has reportedly invested in more than 40 start-ups across a range of sectors like financial technology, health care, and music production.
Additionally, Nas has invested in Lyft, Dropbox, Tradesy, and LANDR, a start-up that uses big data and artificial intelligence to produce music.
According to Crunchbase, Will Smith has made 21 investments across multiple industries. He has invested in companies such as Superhuman, Titan, Sundae, Sandbox VR, Flockjay among others. He also happens to have one of the best pages on the 'gram.
We're never going to get anymore music from Rihanna with the way she collects the bag elsewhere. Sis is making billions from her side hustles! Rihanna is the richest female musician in the world with a net worth of $1.7 billion. Her investment portfolio includes a 50% stake in Fenty Beauty which accounts for $1.4 billion of her worth. The rest of her worth comes from her stake in her lingerie company, Savage x Fenty, worth an estimated $270 million, and her earnings from music and acting. She's even venturing into the perfume business, because, why not?
Outside of music, 50 Cent famously invested in Vitamin Water, which was sold to Coca-Cola for $4.1 billion. His other ventures include footwear, headphones, Casper mattresses, Le Chemin du Roi Champagne and Branson Cognac.
Tyra has been lowkey these days, but that doesn't mean that sis hasn't been quietly getting those coins too! We know her as an actress, author, television personality, supermodel, and founder of TZONE. But she's also an investor in TheSkimm, Videogram, The Muse and Shop Tap Industries.
Featured image by Amy Sussman/Getty Images for ABA
- Beyonce Just Made $300 Million Thanks To Her Investment With ... ›
- Founder Aurora James On Normalizing Black Luxury & Directly ... ›
- 12 Black Female Financial Gurus You Need To Follow - xoNecole ... ›
- 12 Black Women Financial Gurus You Need To Follow - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
2023 has become the year of celebrity breakups with headlines breaking left and right about celebs filing for divorce or ending high-profile relationships. The latest couple to announce their dissolution? British actress Jodie Turner-Smith. TMZ reported that Jodie has filed for a divorce from her husband, Dawson Creek alum Joshua Jackson.
As far as her reason for calling it quits, Jodie cited "irreconcilable differences," according to TMZ, and has requested joint custody of the couple's daughter, Juno Rose Diana Jackson. Late last year there were rumblings of there being "trouble in paradise" for the couple after the media realized they were no longer following each other on Instagram.
Those rumors were more than laid to rest when Jodie and Joshua went to the 2023 Oscars together earlier this year, and even more recently, when they celebrated her birthday together last month during the September unveiling of the Lotus Emeya.
Jodie Turner-Smith celebrates her birthday with husband Joshua Jackson at the unveiling of the new fully-electric Lotus Emeya on September 07, 2023 in New York City.
Brian Ach/Getty Images for Lotus
Despite seeming particularly happy and in love, perhaps the writing was already written on the wall even then. In the past, Jodie has been very celebratory publicly about her love for her estranged husband, even boldly recounting their love story for the books in a 2021 interview with Seth Meyers.
When Jodie and Joshua met, it was while at his birthday party in 2018. Their relationship was hot and heavy from the start, with Jodie openly noting that they began as a "one-night stand." During her 2021 interview with Seth Meyers, she jokingly referred to their love story as a "three-year one-night stand." She shared:
"First of all, I saw him before he saw me and when I saw him, I was like, 'I want that.' And then when he saw me, I just pretended like I didn't see him. He had to yell across the room to me, and I was wearing this T-shirt from a movie called Sorry to Bother You and [actress] Tessa Thompson plays a character called Detroit, and she has this T-shirt that says, 'The Future Is Female Ejaculation.'
"And so, he shouts across the room, 'Detroit!' He comes over and… does this really cute, charming thing that he does and just all night -- he just basically followed me around the party."
The couple were together from that moment forth, and even made things "Instagram official" less than two weeks later while on a dinner date. Joshua would later clarify to Insider that the night they met in 2018 was not a 'one-night stand' or a 'three-year one-night stand' like his then-wife joked but instead, it was "technically a three-night stand."
"It was sealed with a kiss that night and then we didn't leave each other's sides for, well, three years now," Joshua continued at the time.
In a July 2021 interview with Jimmy Fallon, Joshua dropped more details about the why behind getting married. He revealed that he didn't know he wanted to get married to Jodie until "the moment she asked me."
"She asked me on New Year's Eve. We were in Nicaragua. It was very beautiful, incredibly romantic, we were walking down the beach and she asked me to marry her."
He added, "I did not know [she would propose], but she was quite adamant and she was right. This is the best choice I ever made."
Joshua Jackson Reveals Jodie Turner-Smith Proposed To Him
Jodie received quite a bit of flack for proposing to Joshua because it goes against tradition and what society sees as acceptable for a woman to do to a man, and proposing isn't one of them. No matter how much time has passed, the viewpoints around who should do the proposing and who should be proposed to are still very traditional.
After being on the receiving end of such backlash, Joshua would later clarify to the media in a separate interview that it wasn't just Jodie's proposal to him that sealed the deal of them getting married, he proposed to her too. She might have initiated it, but Joshua followed through.
"I accidentally threw my wife under the bus because that story was told quickly and it didn't give the full context and holy Jesus, the internet is racist and misogynist," he explained to Refinery29 that same year. "We were in Nicaragua on a beautiful moonlit night, it could not possibly have been more romantic."
David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images
He continued, "And yes, my wife did propose to me and yes, I did say yes, but what I didn't say in that interview was there was a caveat, which is that I'm still old school enough that I said, 'This is a yes, but you have to give me the opportunity [to do it too].'"
"She has a biological father and a stepdad, who's the man who raised her. [I said], 'You have to give me the opportunity to ask both of those men for your hand in marriage.' And then, 'I would like the opportunity to re-propose to you and do it the old-fashioned way down on bended knee.' So, that's actually how the story ended up."
Joshua and Jodie would eventually marry in December 2019. Shortly thereafter, Jodie gave birth to the couple's first child, Janie, in 2020.
In a recent interview with Elle UK, Jodie shared the ways becoming a mother to Juno helped to heal her of her wounds from colorism she experienced in the past. "It's interesting because I had a lot of resistance to becoming a mother and, throughout my life, I always said if I were to have children, I wanted to have Black, Black babies so that I could affirm them as children with the love that I felt I needed to have been affirmed with by the outside world," Jodie shared with the outlet.
She continued, "Then I fell in love with my husband and we talked about having kids. I did have this mini pause, where I was like, 'She's going to be walking through the world not only having an experience that I did not have, but looking like people that, in a way, I'd always felt a little bit tormented by.' Now that I've got this little, tiny, light-skinned boss, I feel like it’s the universe teaching me lessons. I've been given a daughter who looks this way to heal my own conversations around colorism."
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Amy Sussman/Getty Images