Happy New Year!
2018 greets us with a bright and juicy Cancer Full Moon that promises to bring emotional balance where it is needed. Cancer the sign of Home, Hearth and Family, governs the taproot that links us back to our ancestors. Classically, Cancer is the deepest part of our chart that we like to protect with the Crab's hard crusty shell. We're highly sensitive under this Full Moon as it illuminates the part of our lives that seeks to be nurtured while also fiercely defending nostalgic familial memories.
Cancer is the opposing and balancing sign to Capricorn, the sign where the Sun, Venus and Saturn have all been working hard together to get you to achieve your ambitions. Let this Cancer Full Moon pull you back to be balanced, nourished, and taken care of so that you'll have the energy to continue climbing your particular Saturn in Capricorn mountain.
Go home, Aries! That's right, close your laptop, or whatever work project you happened to bring home over the holidays. While you've found yourself mainly focused on your reputation and career ambitions, this Full Moon is bringing the focus back home. Time spent with family, close friends, or alone in your pajamas will recharge your batteries so that you can continue your ambitious mountain climb towards success.
You may want to make a few dates to hang out around the neighborhood, Taurus. Your mind has been focused on refining a new world view and seeing the bigger picture, but the Full Moon in Cancer wants to you invest some quality time around the way. Chat with your siblings or close relatives, absorb, and reflect upon new ideas and see what may fit into your burgeoning philosophies. You never know, a seemingly random conversation or encounter may be filled with meaningful wisdom.
Check in with your values and assets, Gemini. After spending time over the last weeks becoming more intimate with others, this Full Moon wants to illuminate what you have to put on the table. What's of importance to you, Gemini? What do you need take care of in order to feel emotionally secure and steady on your feet? You may see a fluctuation in money matters, especially concerning areas of shared resources, where you may want to, or be forced to, take a better look at how you've been doing.
The Moon is most at home in your sign, and you're usually completely in tune with her highly changeable emotion nature. This Full Moon is a powerful restart for you, illuminating all the ways you can nurture and take care of YOURSELF. When's the last time you had a good cry, cooked a hot meal, or took a long bath. Focusing on your needs first is a good kind of selfish, in doing so it makes it easier to do the relationship work with others without burning out. Pamper yourself Little Crab, let Mother Moon guide you back home to yourself.
Allow this Full Moon to bring you deep into your inner imaginative world. The best way to balance out all your efforts to create better health and harness your skills is to drift in the unseen world. Devote some energy towards meditation, prayer, visioning, and daydreaming to keep you going on your path towards holistic health and wellbeing. Emotionally connect with the sense of well-being you'd like to experience, then work towards it daily.
This Full Moon is highlighting the need for you to go out and socialize with some like-minded friends. Whatever you've been getting up to during your playtime - for example, creative endeavors - is asking to be shared with others so you can feel the emotional fulfillment that comes with sharing your gifts with those who share common interests and visions. Your family and friends can't wait to nurture your talents.
With so much emphasis happening around your home and private life, you're in a unique position to go out into the world to support others through your work and career. While this is a good time to gain emotional fulfillment through a job well done or new accolades, consider developing your reputation as a powerful protector and nurturer. Use your ability of knowing how to harmonize environments to bring peace to those around you.
You've been so deep in your books and topics that have caught your interest that this Full Moon will have you shifting your attention to the bigger picture. How is your voice and knowledge going to help change the narrative you see around you? There's a philosophy that you hold close to your heart that needs your attention. Should you rely on it, it will feed your endless curiosity on how to make it tangible, practical, and worth sharing with others.
Although so much of your work since Saturn left you for Capricorn has been about your finances and building a secure material base for yourself, Centaur, the Full Moon is demanding that you nurture what you share with others. It's easy to believe our self-worth is tied to our bank account. However, in reality, material wealth is merely a tool. It's the face to face time spent with loved ones and experiencing all the births, deaths, and all the intense moments in between. Mother your deep bonds and what's shared with others to get the most from this powerful Moon.
You've been doing so much work on refining and improving yourself, Capricorn, and that's a good thing! However, use this Full Moon to take care of some of your relationships. People have been looking for your attention lately, but you've been so busy doing you. The next time you're invited out for one on one time, say yes. Perhaps you'll get to enjoy a few comforting hugs and kisses as well as some feedback on all your personal growth.
Ideally, this Full Moon will help to illuminate the ways you can get out of your own head, Water Bearer. When facing underlying fears and doubts about your dreams, sometimes a daily schedule that pushes you to work past them is in order. Nurture the day-to-day routines
, and refine your unutilized skill sets to help you keep your mind on doing rather than stewing.
The key to being a great friend or asset to any organization is having a clear sense of what makes you shine so brilliantly. This Full Moon can help illuminate how you can tend to your personal hobbies and creative talents. You may want to spend some time with some children who help remind you to be joyous and what it feels like to take pride in just being you. Take comfort in your self-expression, Pisces. Turn up the music and crack open those old water colors and see what magic comes out!
What does your moonscope have you looking forward to in the new year? Let us know in the comments down below!
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images