That moment of sending your guy a text that's out of your comfort zone or shows your vulnerability before tossing your phone out of fear of what his response will be was the story of my shy and socially awkward little life.
I've come a long way from starting text conversations to my boyfriend-turned-husband with "Sooo….." followed up with my awkward way of breaking the ice. Whether it's to bring up something you're not feeling, spark what can lead to a super deep conversation, or make their day with a simple message, don't underestimate the power of a random text message.
I certainly wish I had a list like this for any of those moments. The follow-up will be all up to you sis, but these options will do more than get you started and beyond the small talk.
To Just Say Hi/Random Texts:
- If you have something in common (like sports or music), text and ask, "Are you watching this?..." or "Please tell me you saw…"
- Send an Emoji of how you're feeling (i.e. a wink)
- Tell a funny story of something that just happened that day. You can start with anything from "Storytime…" to "So why did…?"
- I just thought about you when I woke up. What are your plans for today?
- I'm curious, what was your first impression of me?
- I've been trying to think of an excuse to text you, but I got nothing. So, hey…
- I need your opinion!
- Text them when you're going to be in line for something for a while (i.e. "So I'm in line at the DMV and it's gonna take forever! Entertain me please…")
- Include them in your experiences (i.e. "I'm at an event for… Have you ever heard of them?")
- Hey, what you thinking about?
To Get To Know Them:
- Tell me your biggest pet peeve.
- What's something you learned from your last relationship?
- Let's talk politics, who are you voting for this election?
- Tell me your favorite movie.
- Your guilty pleasure… go
- What's your favorite restaurant?
- What's on your travel bucket list?
- What's your biggest regret?
- Name the last book you read…
- What is something you're too hard on yourself about?
To Make Them Feel Good:
- [This song/meme] made me think of you
- What's your idea of a personal heaven?
- Tell me something good...
- What makes you the happiest right now?
- Reference your favorite TV show couple (i.e. "Just wanted to tell you, you're the Randall to my Beth" for "This Is Us" fanatics)
- When do you feel most yourself?
- I'm so proud of you for… Tell me all about it!
- I want to cook for you, what's your favorite food?
- Send a text to show that you pay attention to their interests (i.e. "I saw that the NBA2K21 release might be delayed, that sucks!")
- What's your favorite memory from your childhood?
Want more stories like this? Sign up for our newsletter here to receive our latest articles and news straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Shutterstock