There's nothing like starting a new show, realizing immediately that it's binge-worthy, and planning the next few weeks around getting to know the characters and plot unfold bit by bit from the comfort of your sofa. What's almost as bittersweet as falling into a show hole is saying goodbye to said show upon approaching the inevitable series finale.
Over the past few years, shows like Power, Empire, and Star have made us laugh, cry, and cuss at the TV, but it was recently announced that these shows would come to an end and the news had the internet in shambles. Black Twitter hasn't taken this news lightly, and even created a #SaveStar hashtag in hopes that another network would pick up the show for another season.
While Power creators announced that we may see some of the show's beloved characters in a spin-off, this show, along with a slew of other titles will be debuting their final episodes before the end of the year. Although the end is always hard, bid farewell to this list of black-led shows that are saying goodbye to the small screen in 2019:
Executive produced by 50 Cent, the sex and drug-fueled drama Power quickly became popular amongst fans via word of mouth after making its series debut in 2014. Three days ago, 50 Cent dropped a bomb when he revealed that viewers would see the first episode of the last season of Power entitled "The Last Betrayal" on August 25 on STARZ.
Empire introduced the world to Cookie and the Lyon family in January of 2015, and now after five tumultuous seasons of drama both on- and off- camera, the show will be ending with its a sixth and final 20-episode season this fall.
FOX Entertainment CEO Charlie Collier revealed that Star was canceled so that resources and attention could be allocated to give Empire "the send-off it deserves". Although executives said it was a "tough choice," the sultry singers of the fictional girl group will not be returning to television for a fourth season.
Happy Together stars Amber Stevens West and Damon Wayans Jr. as a quaint couple who get their lives turned upside down by a rowdy pop star. The show aired its season premiere last December, but after only one season has been canceled.
Inspired by the feature film franchise led by Danny Glover and Mel Gibson, the Lethal Weapon reboot starred Damon Wayans as an LAPD detective with an unreliable partner. A combination of behind-the-scenes drama and low ratings caused FOX to decline to renew the show for a fourth season.
Written and created by O.J. Simpson prosecutor, Marcia Clark, The Fix tells a strangely familiar story of an attorney looking to indict an A-list celebrity for a double murder. The season debuted its first and only season in March and is scheduled to end May 20.
The Steve Harvey Show
Since writing books like Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man and Straight Talk, No Chaser: How To Find, Keep, and Understand A Man, people have sought out the former King of Comedy for advice on topics like love, finance, career and everything in between. After seven successful seasons, it was announced that the show would be holding its final taping this week, but reruns of the show will air until September.
Loosely inspired by Marlon Wayans' real life, the show tells the story of an internet superstar who balances his booming career while co-parenting with his ex-wife. After two seasons, NBC announced that the show would not return to television.
Featured image courtesy of FOX.
- The Success Of Fox's 'Empire' Reveals A Few Do's And Don'ts For ... ›
- The 19 Best Black TV Shows to Watch Right Now ›
- 'Empire's' Black (Ratings) Power: How Fox's Targeted Marketing ... ›
- Starz's 'Power,' ratings powerhouse, remains an underdog - Los ... ›
- 'Empire' Breaking Barriers With Overseas Viewers | Hollywood ... ›
Taylor "Pretty" Honore is a spiritually centered and equally provocative rapper from Baton Rouge, Louisiana with a love for people and storytelling. You can probably find me planting herbs in your local community garden, blasting "Back That Thang Up" from my mini speaker. Let's get to know each other: @prettyhonore.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images