If you feel insignificant, you better think again.
Black woman, black woman. You are everything, sis. And you're the focus of Happy Hour Podcast's latest episode. This week, the ladies invited Shivy Brooks to the table for a fresh, male perspective on all things black woman, specifically in reference to current events. A high school teacher by day and a self-proclaimed activist and thought-leader by night, Shivy brought the same heat of his weekly Teacher Talk Live show, to hang with co-hosts Sheriden Chanel and Amer Woods for an epic discussion of education, race, politics, culture, and everything in between.
Be sure to subscribe and listen on Spotify and Apple Podcasts.
- Brandy and Monica Verzuz was life (Amer was #teammoinca, Sheriden & Shivy were #teambrandy) Who won?
- Ray J is underrated and unappreciated.
- IG, it's time to have the conversation to allow monetizing of IG Live!
- A potential tour series?
- Sheriden wants to see an Omarion Verzuz. Shivy would like to see Jay-Z + Nas, and Beyonce + Mary J Blige.
Cardi, Megan, + "WAP"
- Are we allowed to live in multiplicities?
- Society (men) doesn't like women to own their sexuality.
- Video was everything, except....Kylie (ugh, yawn)
What are people doing to leverage the people around them?
- Tyler Perry, Joe Budden vs. Charlemagne: ownership
- Collaboration vs. competition
- Crabs in the barrel mentality, oppressive society
- We're not realizing we're actually fighting over crumbs
Black women need capital
- For opportunity, why do we always seem to have to compete for capital (pitch competitions, contests, etc.)?
Believe. Black. Women.
- Megan vs. Tory Lanez
- Powerful black women intimidate men
- Sheriden discusses having lots of responsibility growing up for people older than her, and shares the time she had to change clothes when around male house guests.
- Black girls are hyper-sexualized and boys are seen as a threat.
- Amer discusses intentionally not going into situations where she wouldn't be able to protect herself.
What does protecting black women look like?
- Perspective from both the men and women on why men lie.
- Women tend to cater to men to give them what they want to be together and be happy.
- Game playing is avoided from being honest, is this savage-dating?
- The normalization of online fights directly correlates to the treatment of viral mistreatment of black women.
- Black women should be protected whether you know them or not.
- Breonna Taylor
- Trans women, homophobia, and LGBTQ community.
- Black people are conservative, and they forget that they are. Whew.
- The non-reciprocation of black woman's protection of the black man.
- Shivy asks: how much protection of black women is needed, if we instead empower them?
References Mentioned in this episode:
I May Destroy You (TV Show)
All About Love by bell hooks
People Mentioned in this episode:
Shivy Brooks hosts Teacher Talk Live every Tuesday-Thursday on his Instagram at 8pm EST. You can follow him at @callmeshivy
Leave us a voice message on xohappyhour.com to share your story with us or ask a question for a chance to be featured on the show!
Featured GIF via Beyonce/"Bigger"