No matter how many stylish jackets or amazing co-ord sets you own, a wardrobe slump is inevitable. While items like biker shorts remain a tempting warm weather style staple, try a new approach to your outerwear and go for a fashion classic: patent leather. Patent leather is not new to the rodeo, but it's made a very refreshing comeback.
Rethink the way you wear your patent leather items this spring and check out three ways I styled it.
Writer McKenzie Renae in Look #1
If you prefer to start slow, try wearing patent as an accessory piece; think shoes, belts, bags, or hats. This is probably the most subtle approach. Detail is everything darling, you can make an equal statement with a small detail just as much as you can with a bold statement piece.
I paired a corset style patent leather waist belt with some distressed jeans, an oversized white tee, platform boots, and white leather jacket. Notice the detail in the belt, it's shaped to sit right underneath the chest to accentuate your shape and has a fun exposed silver zipper in the back. The great thing about this look, is that it can be dressed up or down. Make a quick wardrobe change into a short faux fur coat and a pair of boots or heels and you've gone from day-time-play, to night-time-chic just like that.
Writer McKenzie Renae in Look #2
If boots were made for walking, then why not go for the shiny ones? Am I right? Now when it comes to patent shoes, you can really have fun. Think outside of the box and outside of the tap class you were in at five years old. Consider colors beyond the black family, like a deep maroon, olive green, cream, brown, or even red.
I personally don't discriminate when it comes to heel height. You can rock patent on everything from an oxford flat to a thigh high boot. To avoid having a Julia Roberts Pretty Woman moment with the thigh highs, make sure the rest of your outfit is balanced. Style them with something oversized or flowy versus short and tight, for a more fashion forward look.
In this look, I styled a pair of Steve Madden stiletto boots with a denim skirt, oversized jacket, and off the shoulder sweater. The skirt is on the shorter side, so with the heels being so high, I offset the look with both an oversized sweater and jacket. Boom, balance.
Writer McKenzie Renae in Look #3
Now, if you're really feeling like a badass, then dive right into a shiny patent jacket. Jackets are so fun because even with this type of leather, there's still room to play around with the material and finish. Options can range from the classic shiny patent leather finish, or even a crushed patent leather look where the jacket looks a little more toned down and worn in.
I purchased this jacket from ASOS a couple of years ago and it is truly one of the best purchases I've ever made. You can style a cropped oversized jacket like this one over a dress, with jeans, shorts, or even over a formal dress for extra edge. The options are endless! Using the same thought process mentioned before with accessories, you can also think outside of the black color family when it comes to jackets. Looking to make a statement? Go for red. Looking for something a little more versatile? Stick with black.
If you're looking for a simple way to amp things up when it comes to your wardrobe, it may be time to branch out and take a much needed fashion risk! Patent leather is timeless. The ways we wear it will continue to evolve and change over time, and every girl should have at least one patent item in her closet. Remember, winter style doesn't have to be boring. So the next time you notice a slew of patent leather pieces hit nearly every retailers' new arrival page, go for it.
This season's patent leather is unlike any we've seen before.
Original photography by Sanniyah Sloan for xoNecole.
Want more stories like this? Sign up for our newsletter here to receive our latest articles and news straight to your inbox.
Original photography by Sanniyah Sloan for xoNecole.
Originally published January 10, 2019
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
We all have a dream life that we spend our free time daydreaming about. You know, the one with a loving partner, high-rise apartment, thriving career, and endless abundance. But as much as we can dream about it, there has to be a little extra sprinkle of “magic” to make it become a reality, and that’s when manifestation comes in.
The uptick in manifestation techniques is nothing new to the internet. Since The Secret and the Law of Attraction became available on YouTube in the early 2010s and fast forward to today, where #manifestationtok and #spiritualtok surging in popularity, it’s clear that there are a number of different ways to get what you want out of life with the right action, affirmation, and visualization.
Still, with so many ways to manifest, from scripting to the 3-6-9 Method, it can be hard to know which one to lean into. But there’s one new technique that’s promising to yield “instant results,” and we’re curious about it.
The "I Am Sure" Manifestation
Replying to @A I M E E 🖤 lG: hothighpriestess 🤍 this is the “I am sure” method #iamsuremethod
The “I Am Sure” manifestation gained traction this summer by TikTok creator Sara Perl of @hothighpriestess, who initially introduced the method.
In her original video breaking down the concept, she detailed the steps to use the technique for those looking to “manifest overnight.” To do so, start by stating “I am sure,” followed by “your desired manifestation in the present tense.” If there’s a job, promotion, or text from a crush that you want, then you’d say, “I am sure that I got X job,” or “I am sure that I make a $100K salary.” Repeat this out loud 10 times, or for faster results, write them down on a piece of paper and say it back to yourself whenever the desire comes up.
Using your words and speaking in the present tense, affirmatively, “puts you in the frequency that has that desire,” as Perl states. “We know our thoughts create our reality, but our words create our reality even faster.”
No matter how you choose to manifest your dream life, there’s nothing like channeling a powerful affirmation and some faith to get what you desire. In every instance, though, allow yourself to dismiss any doubt that may try to cloud your hopes in good things coming into your life, and don’t hold too tightly onto the “how” or “when.” Trust the process and know that the “thing” that you desire is just waiting for the perfect time to enter your life.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Tassii/Getty Images