With Venus retrograde in full swing and the Omicron variant bringing threats of lockdown, January will be a month of solitude and reflection for the vast majority of us. 2022 kicks off with a New Moon in Capricorn on January 2nd. New Moons in astrology symbolize new beginnings. Expect fresh starts as they relate to major systems, institutions, and the way society operates. This is a time of re-evaluation and re-starts.
If you have any pending contracts, discussions, or major negotiations coming up or any trips to book, make sure you tie up any loose ends mid-month before Mercury goes retrograde on January 14th. Otherwise, expect communication slowdowns, transportation difficulties, technical glitches, and setbacks. Nail everything down and be prepared to receive a lot of mixed messages as it relates to COVID-safety guidelines. Mercury rules communication and Aquarius represents community, society at large, and our individual and collective human rights. Mercury will muddle communications and create murky messaging as it relates to these things so keep your critical thinking hat on. Things will begin to clear up once Mercury heads direct again on February 3rd.
The Full Moon in Cancer taking place on January 17th will bring moments of truth as they relate to the things we feel and experience deeply. This will be a highly emotional time for everyone. Things that we have been buried in will arise for confrontation and release, especially as it relates to home, family, mother figures, childbearing, and the people, places, things, and experiences that we hold close to our hearts.
The Sun enters Aquarius on January 19th, focusing our collective energy and experiences on activism, individual rights, and social responsibility. Again, this will spotlight the way we’ve been handling the pandemic as a society and the way we approach individual rights in regard to our responsibilities as a society.
When Mars enters Capricorn on January 24th, expect increased energy and time devoted to earning money, business, tradition and maintaining social status.
Here’s what you can expect for your sign in January 2022:
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
January brings a fresh new cycle as it relates to your career, Aries! Fresh opportunities and chances for growth are featured for you in January. If you have a promotion or job offer on the table, try as best as you can to tie those negotiations up before Mercury goes retrograde on January 14th. I don’t anticipate that it will affect your career options drastically, but it can slow down and potentially reverse any progress made until Mercury goes direct again in early February. Mercury retrograde will more than likely affect the way you interact with your friends and those in your social circle, so be mindful about the way you communicate with those close to you!
On or around January 17th, expect to reach a turning point when it comes to your home and family life. When the Sun enters Aquarius on the 19th, your time, energy, and attention will be more focused on your social life but again, make sure you follow the typical retrograde rules: Use tact and avoid being confrontational with your friends because misunderstandings can and will occur. Exercise patience! Mars enters Capricorn on the 24th to remain there for several weeks.
Any career slowdowns that occur mid-month due to the retrograde will be straightened out beginning in early February. February 4th through March 6th will be the strongest period for you career-wise this year. Go get 'em, Aries!
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
January breathes fresh air into the stagnancy and feelings of isolation or of being limited that you’ve been experiencing lately Taurus! The New Moon in Capricorn on January 2nd represents a new cycle for you that will bring brand new experiences, bold energy, a sense of optimism, and good luck. Lean into anything that expands your horizons now. This is an excellent time to pick up a new skill, sign up for a course, or join a virtual class. Whatever new endeavors you undertake during this time will bring positive vibes and blessings. When Mercury heads retrograde on January 14th, you are likely to experience career-related miscommunication and slowdowns among coworkers and higher-ups. Don’t shoot off that angry email and take your time when communicating with your colleagues.
The Full Moon in Cancer on the 17th will bring a significant culmination, or realization, as it relates to your neighbors, siblings, acquiring technology, and general communication with others. When the Sun enters Aquarius on the 19th, you will experience renewed and focused energy and experiences in your career. Promotions, new job or professional development opportunities, and increased visibility at work are highlighted for you during this time. When Mars enters Capricorn on the 24th, you will begin to experience a burst of energy and will want to devote more time to things that expand your knowledge.
You are likely to enjoy increased boldness, optimism, and innovation in your approach to life and new experiences that will last through March 6th!
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
The beginning of January will be particularly smoldering for you, Gemini. The New Moon in Capricorn on January 2nd will bring fresh starts, new beginnings, and transformations related to sex and other people’s money. When Mercury heads retrograde on the 14th, you are likely to experience mishaps and miscommunication relating to higher knowledge, so stay alert in order to avoid miscommunication with college professors and be careful about any courses you attempt to sign up for during this time - you may run into issues or may end up having to drop them.
This is not a time for overconfidence or indulgence - make sure you are not taking on more than you can chew, otherwise you’ll quickly realize that you’re unable to handle all that you thought you could.
The Full Moon in Cancer on January 17th will bring a eureka moment as it relates to the way you earn money or in regard to something that increases your value and sense of self-worth. When the Sun enters Aquarius on the 19th, your energy will be focused on experiences and things that expand your horizons and mind in bold and innovative new ways. When Mars enters Capricorn on the 24th, you will work harder and exert more energy sexually and on things that boost your bottom line, i.e. investments or getting back money that you are owed. This is going to be a sexy, transformative energy that you will enjoy all the way through early March.
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
Expect new beginnings in love in early January, Cancer! If you’re already in a relationship, the New Moon in Capricorn taking place on January 2nd will breathe new life into it. Romantic experiences that strengthen your bond and connection with each other are highlighted in the days leading up to and following this New Moon. Have a business partner? You can expect an experience that strengthens that connection as well.
Spend the first half of the month doing all that you can to establish your connection with your significant other or business partner, because when Mercury turns retrograde on January 14th you will experience mishaps, miscommunication, and slowdowns related to your sexual and financial life. Business will not be a strong point during this time and you may find that you are simply not intuitively vibing with your lover during this time as you normally would, either during sex itself or due to schedule disturbances interfering with your ability to connect physically.
Be patient, things will pick back up when Mercury heads direct again in early February. The Full Moon in Cancer on January 17th will bring a major realization as it relates to how you portray yourself to the outside world. When the Sun enters Aquarius on the 19th, your energy will be focused on experiences that transform you deeply, sexually, and financially. Mars enters Capricorn at the end of the month on the 24th. You will likely be spending increased time and energy with your significant other, spouse or business partner. Trust that it will pay off. The period between February 4th and March 6th will be strongest for you romantically and financially.
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
New year, new you, Leo! You’re ringing in the new year with a gift bestowed upon you by the New Moon in Capricorn blessing up your sixth house of health routines, daily responsibilities, and work responsibilities. Any New Year’s resolutions that you’ve committed to in regard to improving your health and diet are likely to succeed, so allow yourself to aim for the stars when it comes to the habits that boost your well-being. Mercury will turn retrograde on January 14th: Be mindful of the way you communicate with your significant other, spouse or business partner. Your messages are likely to be misinterpreted now or to otherwise get lost in translation.
The Full Moon in Cancer on the 17th will enhance your intuition. Expect hunches and powerful gut instincts during this time. When Aquarius season begins on the 19th and all the way through to Pisces season the following month, you’ll find that increased focus and energy will lead to significant experiences with your spouse, potential marriage mate, or business partner. Mars enters Capricorn on the 24th, increasing your energy and time devoted to your daily routines, work responsibilities, and health regimens.
You will receive a powerful boost to your health commitments that will last all the way through to March 6th. Make the most of this energy to revamp your diet, workout routine, and self-care regimen.
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
Been in a dating rut lately, Virgo? I have good news for you: You’re going to love the first half of this month. Dust off that Bumble profile because you’re likely to swipe right on a potential new boo during the first two weeks of 2022. This is specifically connected to the New Moon in Capricorn on the 2nd. This energy will be most powerful for you in the three days leading up to and following this New Moon so make the most of it! Because Venus is in retrograde, you may find that the person you connect with during this time is someone you have a level of familiarity with. Perhaps it’s an ex or a friend from the past who you now start to look at in a different light.
Enjoy the fun and flirty times that the beginning of January will bring because when Mercury heads retrograde on the 14th, you will begin to experience inconveniences and scheduling slowdowns. A tendency to run late to work, to miscommunicate with coworkers, or to slack up on your fitness routine is indicated. You might be infatuated with a new boo, but make sure you’re still tightening up on your responsibilities! January 17th features the Full Moon in Cancer which will bring an epiphany as it relates to a friend or your social circle.
Pay close attention to any messages or hunches you receive now. When Aquarius season begins on the 19th, you will find yourself, focusing again on your time on your health, work responsibilities, and daily habits. Mars enters Capricorn on the 24th, increasing the amount of energy and time devoted to dating, flirting, creative expression, authenticity, and fun. You will enjoy fun and flirty times now all the way through March 6th!
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
Happy new year, Libra! The beginning of 2022 and the New Moon in Capricorn on the 2nd will usher in new beginnings and fresh starts related to your home and family life. When Mercury goes retrograde on the 14th, expect miscommunications and slowdowns with people you date. Take your time with communicating and interpreting messages from bae, otherwise, you may accidentally offend or be offended while flirting due to words getting lost in translation. Venus retrograde will amplify this for you so take heed!
Things will begin to return to normal around February 4th when both Venus and Mercury head in direct motion again. The Full Moon in Cancer on January 17th will bring a culmination or major turning point as it relates to your career. Aquarius season will increase your time spent on your dating life, self-expression, and creativity. One of the strongest periods of love for you this year will be between February 4th and February 19th. Make the most of it! Take the time before then to properly vet and scout anyone you’ve taken an interest in.
When Mars enters Capricorn on the 24th, you will find yourself spending increased energy and time devoted to your home and family for several weeks.
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
It's time to scratch up on your communication and the way you connect with kindred spirits, Scorpio! January 2nd brings a New Moon in Capricorn that will usher in fresh energy in the way you communicate with others, especially with neighbors, siblings, and those you relate to on an instinctual level. The opportunity for a fun and fulfilling short-distance trip is also featured for you during this time. When Mercury heads retrograde on the 14th, make sure you read over any pending leases or real estate contracts twice over. Better yet, tie up those loose ends before Mercury retrograde begins on the 14th or after February 3rd when Mercury heads in direct motion again. Otherwise, expect missteps and slowdowns related to housing-related contracts, moving, and communication among family members.
January 17th’s Full Moon in Cancer will bring you culminations, epiphanies, and realizations as it relates to the ways you expand your mind and horizons. A stroke of good luck is likely to occur during this time for you. When Aquarius season begins on the 19th, you are going to experience more focused energy and experiences related to your home and family life. Mars enters Capricorn on the 24th and it will find you spending increased energy and time devoted to your siblings, kindred spirits, neighbors, technology, short-distance travel, and online communication.
January 24th through March 6th is an excellent period for you to take a short trip with a literal or figurative sibling.
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
This month is all about nourishing your self-value and self-esteem, Sagittarius! Whatever doesn’t serve those things will be evaluated and transformed. It all begins with the New Moon in Capricorn on January 2nd. For you, this moon phase will usher in new beginnings and fresh starts related to your work, your sense of self-worth, your finances, and the things that you value. Mid-month on January 14th, Mercury will go retrograde: Expect travel slowdowns and miscommunication with siblings and neighbors during this phase that will last until February 3rd.
On the 17th, the Full Moon in Cancer will bring a major epiphany relating to the ways in which you’ve been holding yourself back and where you need to grow or transform. This is especially true as it relates to your investments and sex life. Finally "doing the do" with that special someone you’ve been eyeing, or receiving a surprise bonus, a cash award, or inheritance, or getting money paid to you in some form is featured during this time. Aquarius season begins on the 19th, increasing the amount of focused energy and experiences you have related to short-distance travel, kindred spirits, siblings, technology, communication, especially online, and neighbors. Mars enters Capricorn on the 24th and will remain there until March 6th.
You are likely to experience increased energy and time devoted to things that boost your financial and sense of self-worth. Make the most out of this time, Sag - it will be especially rewarding and transformative for you.
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
2022 will be a ground-shaking year for you, Capricorn! It all starts with the New Moon in your sign taking place on January 2nd. Get ready for new beginnings and fresh starts related to the way you present yourself to the world and your public persona. You are likely to be received extremely well by higher-ups and potential love interests in the days preceding and following this moon phase. Mercury retrograde takes place this month, beginning on the 14th, and will last until February 3rd. Be prepared for potential setbacks and slowdowns in your finances and interactions with coworkers. If you have any significant work or business projects in the works, try to tie up those loose ends ahead of the 14th.
The Full Moon in Cancer on the 17th will bring a major turning point as it relates to your spouse, potential marriage mate, or business partner. When Aquarius season begins on the 19th, you will experience focused energy and experiences related to things that increase your self-esteem, sense of value and self-worth, and the people, places, and things that boost your financial security. Mars enters your sign on the 24th, promising increased energy and time devoted to the way you present yourself to the public. February 4th through March 6th will be a particularly strong period for you when it comes to making powerful first impressions!
Use the period between now and February 4th to tie up loose ends and to reflect on how to strengthen your appearance and public image so that you can hit the ground running when both Venus and Mercury are moving in direct motion beginning on the 4th of next month.
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
January will be a very reflective and thought-provoking month for you, Aquarius. This all begins as early as the 2nd of the month when the New Moon in Capricorn amplifies your empathic abilities. Your gut instincts and intuition will be strengthened and more active than usual. Mercury retrograde begins on the 14th: Look out for miscommunication and mishaps in the way you present yourself or are perceived by others. People will easily misunderstand you or misinterpret your behaviors. For several reasons, this is NOT the time to try out a new hairstyle, cosmetic surgery, botox, ombre brows, or any other permanent or semi-permanent procedures. They probably won’t work out as you expected.
January 17th features a Full Moon in Cancer which will bring a significant realization for you as it relates to your work responsibilities, daily habits, and health regimens. When the Sun enters Aquarius on January 19th, you will experience focused energy and experiences relating to public image and how the world experiences you. Prepare to be in the spotlight and to spend increased time and energy refining your appearance and persona - whatever you do to strengthen the impression you give off to others will work in your favor!
Mars enters your 12th house on the 24th, deepening your need for solitude and quiet reflection. Meditate or take a spiritual bath during this time, Aquarius!
Kyra Jay for xoNecole
Have you been remaining true to yourself, Pisces? Do your friendships accurately reflect the person you are inside? Does your life, as it currently is, nurture your need for fun and self-expression? The beginning of 2022 will increase your focus on these themes. It all begins on the 2nd when the New Moon in Capricorn revitalizes your friendships and participation in activism and social groups. Mercury heads retrograde on the 14th and the typical Mercury retrograde rules apply - exercise patience in your communication with others, expect delays, and don’t enter into any binding agreements!
The Full Moon in Cancer on the 17th will bring a eureka moment about the way you approach dating, the way you express yourself, or the kinds of fun that you allow yourself to have.
Aquarius season begins on the 19th and it will strengthen your gut instincts and intuition. The period between February 4th will be extremely strong for you socially with Mars powering through your 11th house of friendships and Venus and Mercury moving in strong, direct motion. Use January to dig deep into yourself so that you can go out and (safely) mingle next month, Pisces!
Featured image by Kyra Jay for xoNecole
- November 2021 Monthly Horoscopes Every Sign - xoNecole ... ›
- Your December 2021 Monthly Horoscopes Are Here! - xoNecole ... ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Imma tell y’all what — it seems like not one week goes by when I don’t see some sort of so-called term that has me like, “What in the world?” For instance, when I first stumbled upon “self-partnering,” honestly, I laughed. Then shared it with some other single people as well as married folks I know. And I kid you not, every individual was like, “What the heck does that mean?” When I told them that it was yet, one more way to seemingly define single living, basically everyone’s follow-up was, “Oh, brother.”
Why can’t (more) singles just be single and be okay with that? Good Lord. Why does there need to be some sort of relational play-on-words to make it sound like we’re with someone — even if we’re not?
Now masturdating? Even though it’s not even close to being a “real” word, it’s something that also brought a laugh outta me — although it was then followed by a genuine smile. The laugh because I almost immediately caught the play-on-words. The smile was due to the intention behind it all.
If you’re not familiar with what masturdating is and you’re curious about why you should even care, take a few moments to at least skim through what it’s about and why I think participating, as a single person, is a pretty cool (and effective) concept.
Masturdate: a date w oneself
What’s Masturdating All About?
Masturdating. Okay, so let the word marinate for just a moment. What does it sound like? Yeah…exactly. And since a huge part of masturbation centers around self-pleasure, it’s cool to explore how “self-dating” could produce similar (as far as pleasure is concerned in a broader sense) results. Because masturdating is all about spending quality time with yourself, pampering yourself, treating yourself— and yes, taking yourself out on dates.
Any of you who may think that masturdating is a consolation prize — and a pitiful one at that — for not being able to go out with another human being or get that dream $200 first date that social media was all in a tizzy about last year (bookmark that) — personally, I think that you’re the demographic who needs to try out masturdating first and the most. Why? Off top, I’ll share my three good reasons.
3 Reasons To Strongly Consider Masturdating
1. It’s an intimate way to get to know yourself better. I’ve been working with couples for a pretty long time at this point and if there’s a pattern that I see arise, OFTEN, it’s that two people are oftentimes so busy trying to “find their person” that they didn’t even know who they were. As a direct result, they found themselves in a relationship with someone who only complemented the “kiddie pool version” of who they were.
That’s why it can be so beneficial to spend time getting to know yourself on the “deep end” of things: what makes you tick, what your passions are, what you want most out of life, what are your interests beyond obvious things — and masturdating can help you to discover all of this. Whether it’s traveling alone or taking out a weekend to drink some wine and journal, the more you get to know yourself, the clearer you’ll be about who complements you on a romantic and friendship level.
2. It will definitely help to boost your confidence levels. I guess since I’m an ambivert, I don’t really get why people freak out at the mere thought of going to a restaurant or movie alone. Personally, I think it requires a helluva lot more energy and gumption to wait around and plan stuff with other people (#Elmoshrug). However, whether you’re an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert, there’s no way around the fact that the more comfortable you get with doing things alone, the more your confidence levels will increase — no, soar — because of it.
One article that I read on the topic said that doing things alone can make you more creative, improve your mental health, and help you to be totally okay with being alone (so that you’re not “needy” for other people’s attention). A psychotherapist from a New York Times article on the benefits of spending time alone said, “Getting better at identifying moments when we need solitude to recharge and reflect can help us better handle negative emotions and experiences, like stress and burnout.” And when you’re able to stare negativity in its face without flinching, how could that not make you bolder, more self-secure, and hopeful about your life?
3. It will teach you to value your time more effectively. In every facet of your world, you’re gonna operate from a healthier place if you’re operating from a “full cup” rather than an empty one. When it comes to this topic, think about it — if you’re constantly waiting on someone to call you to go out or wishing for a dream date with some guy, all you’re doing is wasting precious time that you could be spending taking a cooking class or hell, hiring a chef to make you dinner at your own home.
Indeed, waiting has two sides to it: when it’s in the form of patience, it is indeed a virtue, yet when it’s wrapped up in the notion that you’re not really living life unless you have an audience…it is totally working against you. Choose wisely.
10 Solo Date Ideas To Help You To “Master” Masturdating
So, what if you’re someone who has either never considered actually masturdating before or you don’t really know what to do beyond dinner and the movies? Here are a few ideas to consider:
1. Attend a workshop or masterclass that you’re interested in. If there’s something that you’ve always wanted to learn, sign up for a workshop or masterclass. The cool thing about this option is there are probably some in your city, as well as some that you can find online (like here) that are convenient and affordable.
2. Binge-read at a local coffee shop. Aside from their coziness and oftentimes inviting scents, I once read that a lot of us gravitate to coffee shops because we can be around people without having to actually socialize with them. So, if you want to “hang out” while still being able to enjoy a bit of solitude, take a book that you’ve been trying to finish to a local coffee shop, order your favorite latte, and sit in a big-ass comfy chair. Usually, you can sit there for hours, and the staff will be just fine with it (another bonus).
3. Have a spa day in the next town. You can never go wrong with a spa day. And while going with a friend can be fun, sometimes there’s too much talking transpiring to be able to fully chill out and relax. So, go off of the grid, get a change of scenery, and hit up a spa in the next city (or town). There are lots of studies out here supporting that day trips or “daycations” can actually be really good for your long-term health and well-being.
4. See a community play. Some of the best solo dates that I’ve ever been on consisted of taking in some of the local arts in my city. What’s really cool about this particular option is, oftentimes, they are extremely inexpensive, if not totally free of charge (in exchange for making a donation or putting money into a tip jar).
5. Plan a trip. Whenever people say something along the lines of, “If you don’t expect anything, you won’t be disappointed,” I know that they low-key have some (additional) healing to do from past disappointments. There’s simply too much intel out here to support that anticipation (of good stuff) makes us more motivated and optimistic, keeps our dopamine levels up, and makes life more exciting overall.
Since traveling alone is more cost-effective, gives you the freedom to do whatever you want (when you want), and increases the possibility of meeting new people and having new experiences on your journey — why not devote a day this weekend to planning a solo trip? All the way around, it’s good for you.
6. Try your hand at your own “$200 date.” Uh-huh. Roll your eyes if you want to, but it’s real easy to talk left about how a man should be able to just drop $200 like it’s nothing…until you actually try to do it. So yes, while taking yourself out on this type of date could serve as a bit of a reality check, it can also “scratch the itch” of waiting on some dude to do it for you. It’s also way less emotionally draining because, at least when you’re taking your own self out, it’s guaranteed that you’ll enjoy the company…right?
7. DIY some pampering. When you get a chance, check out “5 Reasons You Should Unapologetically Pamper Yourself,” “Want To Love On Yourself? Try These 10 Things At Home.,” “I’ve Got Some Ways For You To Start Pampering Your Soul,” and “When's The Last Time You Actually Pampered Your Vagina?” The bottom line here is pampering is all about, not mere self-maintenance; it’s all about treating yourself to levels of EXTREME SELF-INDULGENCE. So, if nothing else tickles your fancy on this list, at least consider doing that, chile.
8. Feed your creativity. Something that I used to be really good at is art. That said, one of my goddaughters is insanely talented, so she has reminded me to tap back into it. Also, a big part of what got me into the writing world is poetry; I actually used to be a house poet at a local spot. Sometimes, my best quality time moments with myself have been revisiting these creative sides of me — and this is definitely easier to do (and enjoy) alone.
9. Try some stargazing. When’s the last time you took a blanket into your backyard, laid down on it, and just stared at the stars for hours on end? While some say that stargazing can teach you to be mindful, others say that being in that form of nature reduces stress, while others believe that looking up at the universe at night can increase your attention span. All solid reasons to give it a shot, if you ask me.
10. DO. ABSOLUTELY. NOTHING. Let me tell you something that nobody will ever be able to make me feel bad about: doing absolutely nothing. I’ve got data to back me up. Good Housekeeping shares that doing nothing can help you decide how you want to respond or react to certain things. I like howThe Guardian says that taking this approach helps you to regain control of what you give your attention to.
TIME magazine says that it can ultimately make you more productive.BBC offers up that it can help you tap into your ingenuity.Henry Ford Health says that it can make you kinder and a better problem-solver. So, if you want to invest in yourself, do nothing sometimes.
Closing Thoughts from the Lovely Javicia Leslie
While some of y'all may know Javicia Leslie from being the former Batwoman, I discovered her back in the day from the indie series Chef Julian (and yes, "Julian" was right to say that "Mo" looks like Tatyana Ali...the real ones know). Sometimes I'll hop on her IG to see what she's got going on and this story popped up within a few hours of me penning this...so, I took it as hella confirmation.
TREAT YO SELF. WAIT FOR NO ONE.
WAIT FOR NO ONE. TREAT YO SELF.
RINSE AND REPEAT.
Sooo…what kind of masturdating plans do you have for this coming weekend? While going out with others has its perks, hanging out with yourself has a ton of ‘em too. Enjoy!
No…for real. ENJOY!
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by FOTOGRAFIA, INC./Getty Images