Not too long ago, I wrote an article for the site entitled, "15 Foods Every Woman Should Have In Her Fridge At All Times". I did it because, after doing a bit of research and consuming many of those foods on a consistent basis, I started to have more energy, my periods were shorter and I felt better all the way around. In the spirit of that, this piece is going to shout-out some other foods, albeit with a bit of a different approach. Today, what I'm going to break down are how 12 different ones are able to specifically address some of the health concerns that many of us, as women, tend to have.
So, if you currently feel pretty good yet, in your mind, you believe that you could always feel a little bit better, consuming some of these foods more often will certainly help you to reach that very goal.
1. Cucumbers Will Detoxify Your System
It always fascinates me when I discover that a food that contains a ton of water also has quite a bit of nutrients in it too. Such is the case with cucumbers. They are made up of 96 percent water and they've got protein, fiber and a ridiculous amount of Vitamin K, along with some vitamins C, potassium, manganese and magnesium. Cucumbers are good for you because they're also a good source of antioxidants, can help to lower your blood sugar levels and, thanks to all of the water and fiber that's in them, if you're looking for another way to detox your system, consuming cucumbers is quite the lick.
Cucumber Recipe: Asian Cucumber Salad
2. Eggs Will Strengthen Your Hair and Nails
Something that is present in every cell that you have and also helps to make up 20 percent of your body is protein. That's why it's so important to eat some of it on a daily basis. As far as nutrients go, protein is a wonderful source of B vitamins and selenium (a powerful antioxidant). Eggs can raise your "good cholesterol" levels, improve your eye health, reduce your risk of heart disease and it contains quite a bit of amino acids (they can improve your exercise performance, prevent muscle loss and even make it easier to sleep at night). And since your hair and nails are made up of a protein known as keratin and one serving of an egg has six grams of protein in it, you can see why having a couple of eggs a week could keep your hair and nails nice and healthy.
Egg Recipe: Avocado Deviled Eggs
3. Bell Peppers Will Reduce Bad Breath
Bell peppers are cool because they're a low-calorie food; one that has quite of bit of water in them (92 percent) along with fiber, vitamins A, B6, C, E and K, as well as folate, potassium and several plant compounds. If you consume bell peppers on a fairly regular basis, they've got the ability to protect your eyes, reduce your anemia risk, boost your immunity, improve your moods and lower your chances for getting cancer too.
However, I decided to give bell peppers a shout-out because something that they are also able to do is help to keep your breath smelling fresh. Thanks to the high amount of Vitamin C that's in them, bell peppers are able to combat the bacteria that leads to bad breath in the first place. So, if you don't have a mint around but you do have a bell pepper or two on hand, believe it or not, that's about just as good.
Bell Peppers Recipe: Vegan Fajitas
4. Citrus Fruit Will Reduce Inflammation
If you're looking for something that is a powerful source of antioxidants, fiber, folate, potassium and Vitamin C, look no further than an orange, grapefruit, lemon or lime — things that qualify as being a citrus fruit. Aside from being able to keep your immune system strong, citrus fruit is also great at boosting brain health, reducing the risk of kidney stones, improving heart health, keeping you hydrated (it's also loaded with water) and even helping your system to absorb more iron. Another solid bonus that comes with citrus fruits is the antioxidants in them can reduce inflammation in your body and also help to repair damaged tissues, both of which are highly beneficial.
Citrus Fruit Recipe: Hint-of-Orange Pancakes with Grapefruit Syrup
5. Garlic Will Reduce Stress
When I sense that I've got a cold coming on, something that I will be quick to get are some garlic bulbs. This particular food, which happens to be a member of the onion family, has manganese, vitamins B6 and C, selenium, fiber and traces of calcium, copper and iron in it. It's a surefire way to strengthen your immune system (thanks to all of its potent antioxidants), lower your blood pressure, improve your cholesterol levels, reduce blood clotting and, it can even increase longevity. Also, since garlic is loaded with the compound sulfur and sulfur can increase the substance glutathione and that is what helps your body to feel less stressed, if you're feeling anxious or overwhelmed, eating something that has fresh garlic in it can certainly never hurt.
Garlic Recipe: The Garlickiest Fried Rice
6. Berries Will Stabilize Your Moods
Berries are considered to be a really healthy food, in part, because of the antioxidants, fiber, manganese and vitamins C and K that are in them. Eating ones like raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries on the regular can fight inflammation, keep your gut healthy, improve the quality of your skin, protect against cancer and can even help to keep your arteries in good condition. Something that I really like about berries is they contain properties that will reduce the production of the stress hormone cortisol. The less cortisol, the more balanced your moods will be.
Berries Recipe: Triple Berries Salsa
7. Swiss Chard Will Fight Signs of Aging
Some health experts consider Swiss chard to be a superfood. That's because it really is a multivitamin that comes in the form of a dark leafy green. There's not enough space for this particular article to list everything that's in it; for now, I'll just share that it's got protein, fiber, iron, vitamins A, C, E and K, magnesium, manganese, calcium, copper, potassium and antioxidants in it. This makes it the kind of food that fights off free radicals, helps to keep you regular, decreases inflammation, destroys cancer cells and boosts brain power.
Another plus about Swiss chard is, since it's also rich in beta-carotene (a nutrient that your body converts to Vitamin A so that your system is able to repair damaged tissues and grow skin), it's just the kind of food that you should have in your diet, if you want to keep aging at bay.
Swiss Chard Recipe: Simple Sautéed Swiss Chard
8. Guava Will Improve Your Memory
Although guava is a fruit that is available all year long, it's typically at its best during the spring season. As far as nutrients go, Vitamin C, fiber, potassium and antioxidants are what it's best known for. On the benefits tip, guava can lower your risk for diabetes and cancer, relieve constipation, treat a toothache (due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties), reduce stress and shorten the lifespan of a cold. And yes, guava can also help to improve your memory (and productivity) because its Vitamin C and antioxidant levels are helpful when it comes to providing your brain the nutrients that it needs to function properly (especially when it comes to your prefrontal cortex and hippocampus which are responsible for your short- and long-term memory).
Guava Recipe: Guava Chutney
9. Ginger Will Decrease Any Bloating
The older I get, the more of a fan of ginger that I become. Probably the best thing about this particular plant is the fact that it contains gingerol which has some super potent medicinal benefits in it. You probably already know that ginger is a wonderful way to ease the kind of nausea that's associated with pregnancy or motion sickness but there's more. Ginger also lowers blood sugar levels, reduces menstrual pain, fights off infections, decreases inflammation and, it can also make getting over a cold easier to bear. Something else that's fascinating about ginger is the enzymes in it help to break down the gasses that may be lodged within your intestinal tract. Because of this, eating ginger can help to decrease any bloating that you might experience.
Ginger Recipe: Ginger Lime Hummus
10. Brown Rice Will Give You a Fuller Butt
Brown rice makes the list for foods that can make you feel good because it's a whole grain and whole grains are definitely great for you. It's considered to be better for you than white rice because it contains all parts of the grain (hence the "whole" word) while white rice has most of the nutrients removed from it. Some of the many vitamins and minerals in brown rice include a few B vitamins, vitamins E and K, magnesium, iron, zinc, calcium, potassium and dietary fiber. Other benefits of brown rice include the fact that it aids in digestion, improves heart health, supports weight loss, helps to control cholesterol levels and even has the reputation for helping to manage some depression-related symptoms.
Yet here's what tripped me out about it — brown rice is also full of what are known as branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs). These are not only a good source of energy but the way they get processed into your system can result in less muscle loss which can result in a bigger butt over time. #themoreyouknow
Brown Rice Recipe: Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
11. Water Will Lubricate Your Vagina
Believe it or not, water is considered to be a food and since our bodies are made up of around 60 percent water, we need to keep plenty of it in our system at all times. Water is good for you because it regulates your body temperature, flushes out toxins, lubricates joints, replenishes cells and body tissues, increases energy levels, keeps you regular, moisturizes your skin and hair and naturally lubricates your vagina — and since wetness makes sex so much more pleasurable…where's your water bottle at, sis!
Water Recipe: Spa Fruit Infused Detox Water
12. Saffron Will Increase Sexual Pleasure
Saffron is dope on a few levels. So much, in fact, that I actually listed it as a food that can help you to handle your period better (check out "These Foods Will Make Your Period So Much Easier To Handle"). Because it's considered to be such a powerful antioxidant, saffron also contains cancer-fighting properties, can curb your appetite (which can result in weight loss), improve eye health, balance blood sugar levels and, it's at the top of many aphrodisiac food lists. Not only have some studies attributed it to improving erectile dysfunction in men and increasing the libido of women who are on antidepressants, saffron has a way of increasing lubrication too and again, wetter is always much better. Enjoy.
Saffron Recipe: Oven-Baked Risotto with Saffron and Chorizo
Join our xoTribe, an exclusive community dedicated to YOU and your stories and all things xoNecole. Be a part of a growing community of women from all over the world who come together to uplift, inspire, and inform each other on all things related to the glow up.
Featured image by Getty Images
- 10 Hacks That Can Make Cooking Easier (If You Hate To Cook ... ›
- 10 Foods That Boost Your Mood - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love ... ›
- 10 Foods That Will Keep You Cool During The Heat - xoNecole ... ›
- Are Whole Grains Bad For You? Or Healthy? - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Foods That Can Help You Focus Better - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
Different puzzle pieces are creating bigger pictures these days. 2024 will mark a milestone on a few different levels, including the release of my third book next June (yay!).
I am also a Professional Certified Coach. My main mission for attaining that particular goal is to use my formal credentials to help people navigate through the sometimes tumultuous waters, both on and offline, when it comes to information about marriage, sex and relationships that is oftentimes misinformation (because "coach" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, oftentimes quite poorly).
I am also still super devoted to helping to bring life into this world as a doula, marriage life coaching will always be my first love (next to writing, of course), a platform that advocates for good Black men is currently in the works and my keystrokes continue to be devoted to HEALTHY over HAPPY in the areas of holistic intimacy, spiritual evolution, purpose manifestation and self-love...because maturity teaches that it's impossible to be happy all of the time when it comes to reaching goals yet healthy is a choice that can be made on a daily basis (amen?).
If you have any PERSONAL QUESTIONS (please do not contact me with any story pitches; that is an *editorial* need), feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org. A sistah will certainly do what she can. ;)
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy